S16mm SR3/Schoeps/Sound Devices 302/Zoom H4N

Evan Andrew John Prosofsky

Hi all,

I plan to shoot a sync sound project on the SR3 very soon. The only sound recorder available in Edmonton to rent is the Zoom H4N, i've been told by many sources that this will work and sound good if I run it through my sound devices 302 preamps, but I would like to know what you guys think of this, and if there is anything you think I should know about.

Is it just as easy as running the Schoeps through the 302 through the H4N, and setting the recording quality to it's highest?

Is there a certain setting I need to know about in order to ensure sync between the H4N and the SR3? Obviously, a clapper slate will be used. I'm referring to possible drift in sync due to different frame rates or problems in editing.

Sorry for being so vague, still very un educated when it comes to the whole audio side of things.

Thanks so much!

Evan

Hi all,

I plan to shoot a sync sound project on the SR3 very soon. The only sound recorder available in Edmonton to rent is the Zoom H4N, i've been told by many sources that this will work and sound good if I run it through my sound devices 302 preamps, but I would like to know what you guys think of this, and if there is anything you think I should know about.

Is it just as easy as running the Schoeps through the 302 through the H4N, and setting the recording quality to it's highest?

Is there a certain setting I need to know about in order to ensure sync between the H4N and the SR3? Obviously, a clapper slate will be used. I'm referring to possible drift in sync due to different frame rates or problems in editing.

Sorry for being so vague, still very un educated when it comes to the whole audio side of things.

Thanks so much!

Evan

I don't have experience working with 16mm film, and to my knowledge not many people that post here do (or at least doing sound for it)

I would honestly suggest posting this question here...

http://www.jwsound.net/SMF/

Jeff Wexler's blog with a lot of pro location sound guys.

Hi all,

Thanks so much!

Evan

with the clapper you will be fine as long as the camera is crystal sync, which an SR3 is, so no problemo. I would record at the highest setting you can afford. Your set up seems fine. Doing sync sound for 16mm is little to no difference than any other format. Your recorder doesn't record or generate timecode, that is the only non professional thing, but it does record at a fixed rate, so no drift.