Nikkor Lenses: CP-16A/CP-16R

I recently acquired a CP-16A, and I realize that since the viewfinder is prismatic, and built into the lens, then it must be hard to get other lenses that fit the camera. For the most part, am I stuck with the 12-120mm lens that came with the CP-16A?

If I sell my CP-16A for another camera, is there a way to use Nikkor Lenses, with the traditional F-mount, on any particular 16mm camera? There must be some kind of adapter out there, but I was wondering if any of you could help me out.

Here at RISD, we use CP-16Rs, which have the viewfinder built into the camera rather than the lens. I was wondering if a switch to a CP16R would make for a more versatile camera.

I ultimately want to shoot U16 or S16, so I'm trying to consider my options.

-Cory

I recently acquired a CP-16A, and I realize that since the viewfinder is prismatic, and built into the lens, then it must be hard to get other lenses that fit the camera. For the most part, am I stuck with the 12-120mm lens that came with the CP-16A?

If I sell my CP-16A for another camera, is there a way to use Nikkor Lenses, with the traditional F-mount, on any particular 16mm camera? There must be some kind of adapter out there, but I was wondering if any of you could help me out.

Here at RISD, we use CP-16Rs, which have the viewfinder built into the camera rather than the lens. I was wondering if a switch to a CP16R would make for a more versatile camera.

I ultimately want to shoot U16 or S16, so I'm trying to consider my options.

-Cory

Hi Cory,

Nikon lenses will work OK on the CP-16R as long as you have the proper adapter or have the camera's mount permanently changed to accommodate Nikon. Nikon lenses will also work with adapters on nearly all 16mm cameras that I can think of except Arriflex.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

Yes, you're stuck with the 12-120 unless you can find an example of the 9.5 -95mm or 9-57mm Angie with the "dog leg" viewfinder.

I am pretty sure there are CP16R to Nikon adapters out there.

Remember, however, that you are going to have to deal with the fact that Nikon lenses were made for full frame 35mm still cameras and the film real estate on a 16mm frame is much, much smaller.

A "normal" perspective lens in 16mm is a 25mm. So the Nikons will be okay as long lenses, but not as a wide angle.

You can also get Arri B mount adapters for the CP16R, that makes the wide range of 16mm lenses made for Arris available to you.

Bruce Taylor

You also have the option of having a PL mount hard nose installed (not an adapter, but a full front plate that permanently replaces the CP mount) You can then get an adapter to move from Nikkon-PL. That would allow you to use your wide angle and medium Nikkor glass as your medium and telephoto lengths, then get some PL mount 16mm glass for the wide angles. Just an idea, it might not be the cheapest. It would be flexible though.

You also have the option of having a PL mount hard nose installed (not an adapter, but a full front plate that permanently replaces the CP mount) You can then get an adapter to move from Nikkon-PL. That would allow you to use your wide angle and medium Nikkor glass as your medium and telephoto lengths, then get some PL mount 16mm glass for the wide angles. Just an idea, it might not be the cheapest. It would be flexible though.

This is incorrect. Nikon lenses (46.50mm) cannot be used once the camera is PL-mount (52.00mm).

And to Bruce: while probably not a stock item, the Nikon to CP adapter is easily manufactured (46.50 to 1.5").

Cheers,

Jean-Louis