Shoot with the XL2

Arnaud M. St Martin de Veyran

Hi Guys !

It's been a long time that i did come on the forum.

I'm going to shoot with the new Canon XL2 that seems pretty amazing :rolleyes: Better than DVX100 that i used to love so much.

If anyone have ever shot with the XL2, let me know how you feel about it?

Anyway, my question is about the lenses.

In fact, we are going to shoot with 24X36 lenses (The Canon EF series).

I would like to know how can i figure it out the equivalency (field of view) of the 35mm lenses in 24x36 lenses for the 1/3" sensor of the XL2?

Do you know what i mean?

For example, if i'm looking for the field of view of a 50mm lense on a 35mm film, wich 24x36 lense should i used to get almost the same field of view with the canon XL2?

Another question : What about shooting 16/9 with the XL2?

Is it real 16/9 means that the sensor record in 16/9 or is it a squeezed 16/9 ?

Again, if anyone have notes about shooting with the XL2, let me know...

Best Regards.

Guest David Lawrence

The equivalency ratio is 4.4 ie: you must divide the 35mm [still camera] lens focal lenght by 4.4 to get similar horizontal angle of view. For a horizontal angle of view similar to a 50mm std lens one would need an 11-12mm lens on the XL2 and for a wide angle similar to the view of a 24mm you would have to find a 5.5mm lens, good luck finding one of those!

The equivalency ratio is 4.4 ie: you must divide the 35mm [still camera] lens focal lenght by 4.4 to get similar horizontal angle of view. For a horizontal angle of view similar to a 50mm std lens one would need an 11-12mm lens on the XL2 and for a wide angle similar to the view of a 24mm you would have to find a 5.5mm lens, good luck finding one of those!

Thanks but i don't understand :unsure:

If i'm using a 24mm (still camera) focal lenght on a XL2 that means that in fact i'm shooting with the equivalent of 5.5mm video lens? To be more precise, a 24mm still lense on an XL2 is a very wide angle?

I would like to precise that i'm going to use a XL2 with the still lenses series Canon EF so it's why i'm looking for an equivalency.

Thanks again.

Guest David Lawrence
Thanks but i don't understand :unsure:

If i'm using a 24mm (still camera) focal lenght on a XL2 that means that in fact i'm shooting with the equivalent of 5.5mm video lens? To be more precise, a 24mm still lense on an XL2 is a very wide angle?

I would like to precise that i'm going to use a XL2 with the still lenses series Canon EF so it's why i'm looking for an equivalency.

Thanks again.

Sorry, you got it back to front! If you put a (still camera) 24mm on an XL it is now 4.4 times as long, ie: 105mm for the video camera. If you want (still camera) 24mm wide-angle look, you will need to find a 5.5mm lens

Sorry, you got it back to front! If you put a (still camera) 24mm on an XL it is now 4.4 times as long, ie: 105mm for the video camera. If you want (still camera) 24mm wide-angle look, you will need to find a 5.5mm lens

So now i think i got you !

That means : i've to go very wide with my selection of "still camera" lenses if i want to try to match with a film lense serie...

The widest is a 14mm !

I think i'll choose from the 14mm to 50mm. The 50mm will be on the XL2 look like a very long lense (telephoto).

Also, you said that the magnification is 4.4 but on the manual they said that if i'm shooting 16/9 it's going to be 7.8 so a 50mm "still camera" lense will be a 6.4mm video lense? Right?

Anyway, thanks.

Did you ever shot with a set up like this?

I'm wondering how many T.Stop i'm loosing with "still camera" lenses?