Contrast range

Craig Needelman

We are shooting a lot of blown out scenes. Would there be any better detail in the whites with a cine alta, other than the obvious HD benefits, than I can get with my SDX900. I realize that once we're in the clippers that detail is gone, but will the cine alta do a better job before we hit them?

I don't know how much help I can be personally, since my experience with Sony HD is limited, but I think anyone else would ask this question first to give any usable advise. What kind of blown out scenes are you talking about? Are you in situations that you don't have control of the scene?

I don't know how much help I can be personally, since my experience with Sony HD is limited, but I think anyone else would ask this question first to give any usable advise. What kind of blown out scenes are you talking about? Are you in situations that you don't have control of the scene?

Craig,

Having both cameras here I would probably spec the Sony F900. I feel the adjustment of the Clipper and Clipper Detail settings are finer in version 3 software than in the SDX-900, as well as the final recorded image has more latitude for "post" correction. I saw some where that a project out west ran in to the same problem and used Lo-Con filters to help control Blow out.

I'm assuming that this is for SD not HD since you're comparing these two cameras.

Hope this helps.

Tom Shustack

RSVP

• 2 weeks later...

The newest F900 (3, I believe) is holding a good two and a half to three stops more highlight detail than the first F900. In terms of dynamic range, it's definitely the best option in the video realm. (Short of a Viper or something equally ridiculous) :D

• Premium Member

I've shot extensively with both cameras, and own an SDX-900.

While I haven't done side by side tests, my experience suggests that the contrast range of the two cameras - when they are both properly tweaked - will be very close, with the Sony being slightly better. The SDX-900, especially in FILMLIKE2 mode with a low gamma around .45 or less, holds onto shoulder detail remarkably well.

In either case, on day exteriors you'll still need to properly deploy polas, grads, etc if you want to control sky contrast, etc.

J