Music video / m

Hi All!! In a week i will shoot a music video. We have cool location and a lot of people. The idea is to try build some mood of late 40's.

We shoot in club. Main scene will be singing vocalist {She} standing on a small stage. In front of her people will dance and have fun. I'd like to lit it with some yellowish or orangish style, but don't have an idea what kind of source to use.

Should it be a 1K SPOT with yell or straw gel for her and china balls for fill light above dancing people. Generally I am not strong with lighting situations like these and I'd love to hear what's good or bad or what will be a good decision and what will be a stupid idea:) I know that in 40's wasn't an HMI lights so i'd like to use only 3200 light... is it good idea? Also i think that smoke will create vibe that i'm looking for.

Thanks for you're time and ask what else you'de like to know for better answer.

I'm still deciding between shooting EX 3 + letus extreme zeiss compact prime or same zeiss primes with CANON 5D ...?

Thanks. Ted.

front.jpg

this is the front side of stage

back.jpg

and this is the back seen from the stage.

post-43038-12748935079762.jpg

• Premium Member

I might just blast those disco balls with some PARs with star on them and let that light the crowd with a built up base ambience of some smaller units on the tables (like decoration type lights) dimmed down. For the stage; perhaps lighting everything else with some orange and reds then hitting her with a little bit of a white, perhaps slightly cool spot (depends on the song of course, if it's sad v happy).

I think smoke is a good call, and i'd motivate it with some extras sitting around smoking cigarettes, kinda sell the atmosphere. Costume design will also be important as to your overall look. Perhaps keep it towards earth tones for the viewers and allow the singer/band to be a little more daring in their colors, a little more vibrant, if the song calls for it.

It looks like you have a small ceiling which might be problematic to rig from, but can be overcome. Also, if you're shooting during the day, it might be worth-while to tent those windows and perhaps rig up a green screen for some compositing later on a street scape.. if you're at night, I'd still tend them and have some kind of out-of focus stuff happening out there. Perhaps a red light flashing (old neon sign) wayy out of focus (e.g. somewhere in the b/g) with some other light orbs 'round.

Just what i'd go with ideally. Good luck!

Thanks Adrian. That disco balls I decided to take off and in place of one oh them rig a SPOT 1K as KEY light for HER. Other option is 2K chimera with 1/4 or 1/2 straw GEL that is my idea to lit her. Could any of you tell me is it better to gel light and do not change it in post or lit all with small difference between kelvin and warm image in post? Sory for that kind of question but as i said it's my first time shooting video as this.

Now I have to think a little bit and I see what I have figure out:)

Thanks. Ted.

Were there disco balls in the 40s? This is a serious question, I don't know. I think they feel a little out of place for a lounge singer, but that depends on if its a period piece or a contemporary with a 40s "mood"

You can hit her with a par for some strong backlight (think Janusz Kaminski, overexposed a few stops) and toss some 1/2 CTB on it (I know you don't like the daylight for this one, but I think you can sell a cooler light for the 40s), plus the spill might make for some nice beams of light with the smoke

Your 1K will give her some dramatic shadowing on the face, which I like. Mixing color temperatures is always a nice look, too.

Consider putting your china balls on a flicker box, might add to the effect you're getting with the location. Also, I like the greenscreen idea for comp later, just make sure you have a nice, evenly exposed light on it

• Premium Member

I seem to recall disco balls in the dance sequence from Back to the Future @ the prom. That was the 50s, of course and whose to say whether or not it was historically accurate; but hell, it makes a nice look. I think costume design will sell period more than anything specific to the lighting.

Wiki: What are now sometimes called "disco balls" were first widely used in nightclubs in the 1920s. They were already in existence and use before then, appearing in a description of a ballroom dance in 1897 in Boston.

So i guess thats a yes.

Woow. Director want to take off the disco balls but after that post I will talk to him, maybe it would be better to keep them. Also director want to keep HER beauty, her skin must be soft so i gues Spot light is no longer good option. So now I thinking if 2 par's above Her head with 1/2 or full #216 + 1/4 straw and strong but quite soft 1/4 or 1/2 backlight as said with 1/2 CTB. I like my idea about china balls for ambience for dancing people.

At this time director decide to shoot on Canon 5D mk II so i'm worried about overexposed highlights, the dynamic range of this camera isn't very big in highlights right?

I'd avoid a ring light, the circular eye lights are something you see in recent fashion photography. I'd think more towards the reflection of like a china ball, or even just a big silk reflected on her eyes.

Hi there again. So after meeting with director He changed his mind about look of the clip. So now we want to achive a colo mood like in this musiv video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9QYv9XBMHI

I' am intresting of ambience light in main dancing room, and Her (Janet) light on face. I am worried becasue our location have very low ceiling and in Janet's video ceiling is very high so They could placed source on it. So i'm thinking how to mount strong source on my ceiling to create soft yellow ambient light.

Any idea would be very helpfull.

Thanks. Ted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there again. So after meeting with director He changed his mind about look of the clip. So now we want to achive a colo mood like in this musiv video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9QYv9XBMHI

I' am intresting of ambience light in main dancing room, and Her (Janet) light on face. I am worried becasue our location have very low ceiling and in Janet's video ceiling is very high so They could placed source on it. So i'm thinking how to mount strong source on my ceiling to create soft yellow ambient light.

Any idea would be very helpfull.

Thanks. Ted.

So Hi all again. The video is done, thanks for all advices. link to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VEHmgJyZRg