begginer but starting with a giant leap

Ok Guys, I don't understand much about photography but I am an advertising and marketing graduate. I currently

work with both designing and marketing, and my work requires me to do some sort of video. I also plan to do

some feature short movies for myself. I want to start with a good equipment. I already found the right camera for me

by reading and watching some movies/tests on youtube

I'm going to start with the Canon 5DMarkII. I already know how to shoot manually a camera (still only), since i have a Nikon D50,

but usually I use the autofocus. I don't know how is going to be to start with a manual focus lens, I'm afraid

of getting confused at first, since this is my first time doing a video. What do you guys think?

I want to shoot some videos at my house with very view light, I was planning to do some kind of horror movie.

Another thing is my wife is a journalist and wants to do some shooting during the day of the city (Toronto), maybe do some video reporting

or some interview. My first priority is getting the lens for the dark place. I want to do some medium and close-up framing with maximum

dept of field.

My friend told me to buy either a carl zeiss or the cannon L series. What should I buy first? I have 1500 maximum for the first lens

Guest Trevor Swaim

Canon L series 24-70 f 2.8

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/559072-USA/Canon_8014A002_24_70mm_f_2_8L_USM_AF.html

and the Canon EF 50mm f1.8. It feels kinda cheap, but its pretty sharp and pretty fast. Build is not the greatest and the Bokeh is just Meh, but its only $100.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

Edited by Trevor Swaim

Great to hear that you're starting out. But first things first, you won't get any decent Zeiss glass for your 1500. Zeiss announces ZE photography lenses for the Canon EOS, but exclusive and very expensive primes is not what you want to start off with. For more serious video projects, please notice the available PL adaptor, giving the possibility of using the appropriate Super Speed/Ultra Primes.

As recommended by Trevor, the Canon 24-70 F/2.8 is the way to go. All-around sharp, affordable zoom with a lot of performance.

I found a video using this and actually I didn't like the quality! I don't know if it was the guy's fault / lack of knownledge but for me it looks video and not cinema. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5xmiVej5nk. Maybe this is good for the project I want to do (paranormal activity style movie)

but I also would like to get a cinema "quality" record like those videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFULJ5GGLk

impossible for a beginner? what about buying a canon 7d and getting more expensive lens?

thanks guys!

Guest Trevor Swaim

I found a video using this and actually I didn't like the quality! I don't know if it was the guy's fault / lack of knownledge but for me it looks video and not cinema. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5xmiVej5nk. Maybe this is good for the project I want to do (paranormal activity style movie)

but I also would like to get a cinema "quality" record like those videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFULJ5GGLk

impossible for a beginner? what about buying a canon 7d and getting more expensive lens?

thanks guys!

To be Honest I do much prefer the Canon 7D for video production work, and if you go that way you can get several nice lenses for much cheaper. The tokina 11-16 f2.8 is a killer lens and both the Tokina 16-50 and the Tamron 17-50 give fantastic results. I am not sure on the Tamron but I know the Tokina lenses only work with the smaller S35 sized chip in the 7D.

can I use those Carl Zeiss lenses on both 7D or 5Dmark2?

I'm getting confused now!

I was also thinking about doing some wedding videos, like freelance

I think I could also rent lenses right? I live in Toronto and I have seem a place that rent lenses for 50 bucks (good ones)

But I need something to start, so I'm trying to fit my budget on 4K (used body from b&h + warranty + memory card+ lens)

I wanna have the best quality as possible, I wanna get the "cinema" look but I also don't want to get lost with

the manual buttons. I might try some training with someone as well.

If anyone here in Toronto is interested I can pay to be trained (I

don't have time to attend a course)

Guest Trevor Swaim

can I use those Carl Zeiss lenses on both 7D or 5Dmark2?

I'm getting confused now!

Yes the Zeiss lenses will work on both cameras. The 5DMk2 has a "full frame" sensor, that is a sensor the same size as a still 35mm frame. The 7D and the 550/T2i and most other digital still cameras have a sensor that is smaller, in the case of the 7D it is very close to the same size as an S35 motion picture frame. Both cameras are are decent, but both suffer from the same problems that is, moire, aliasing and rolling shutter artifacts. The are good cameras but they must be used properly or they will start to look very bad, very quickly.

I was also thinking about doing some wedding videos, like freelance

This is a very, very bad idea. Weddings are a once in a lifetime event, it is not a place for you to learn. The people who would hire you are looking for a professional who is capable of giving them a very high quality product they can treasure their entire life. If you are not 100% sure of your skills then DO NOT DO THIS.

I think I could also rent lenses right? I live in Toronto and I have seem a place that rent lenses for 50 bucks (good ones)

But I need something to start, so I'm trying to fit my budget on 4K (used body from b&h + warranty + memory card+ lens)

I wanna have the best quality as possible, I wanna get the "cinema" look but I also don't want to get lost with

the manual buttons. I might try some training with someone as well.

If anyone here in Toronto is interested I can pay to be trained (I

don't have time to attend a course)

It sounds to me as though you would be much better served with a good dedicated video camera to start with. Something that you can learn the craft on before you get into the more complicated stuff. You should look into picking up an older camera to learn on and then sell it in 6 or 8 months after you get a solid foundation in the basics. Pick up a DVX100 or an XL2 or something. They should be at or under 1 grand now and will be about the same when you go to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the Zeiss lenses will work on both cameras. The 5DMk2 has a "full frame" sensor, that is a sensor the same size as a still 35mm frame. The 7D and the 550/T2i and most other digital still cameras have a sensor that is smaller, in the case of the 7D it is very close to the same size as an S35 motion picture frame. Both cameras are are decent, but both suffer from the same problems that is, moire, aliasing and rolling shutter artifacts. The are good cameras but they must be used properly or they will start to look very bad, very quickly.

This is a very, very bad idea. Weddings are a once in a lifetime event, it is not a place for you to learn. The people who would hire you are looking for a professional who is capable of giving them a very high quality product they can treasure their entire life. If you are not 100% sure of your skills then DO NOT DO THIS.

It sounds to me as though you would be much better served with a good dedicated video camera to start with. Something that you can learn the craft on before you get into the more complicated stuff. You should look into picking up an older camera to learn on and then sell it in 6 or 8 months after you get a solid foundation in the basics. Pick up a DVX100 or an XL2 or something. They should be at or under 1 grand now and will be about the same when you go to sell it.

hey guys

I Just bought the Canon 7d + 50mm 1.8 canon and sandisk extreme udma 32gb 400x !!!!! This camera is great.

Right now I am going to buy each month another acessory to make it more powerfull, can anyone point me a good tripod

around 150-200 on ebay /b&h photo? Actually I will choose a ball head, because my wife wanna do stills, later will buy a pan head

after that any other acessories do you guys recommend? RIG, mic viewfinder, what else?

thanks a lot!

im totally lost with so many options at b&h......

I just know that I found a cheap carbon fiber one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586216-REG/Smith_Victor_700427_CF3_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod.html

there is also the manfrotto around 150-200

but the thing is , i wanna a professional tripod, doesn't need to be a spaceship, but I just don't want it to decrease the quality of my shoots