arri 2c 25 to 24 fps

RAJENDRA BISWAS

Hi can anybody cheer me up....i am very excited baout my arri2c and got used to handling it,however i find out that its a 25fps camera for tv and not 24..is this going to create problem while shooting and audio sync? can i shoot a motion picture with 25fps....in post production what can i do to make it 24fps and match audio and film sync? can i project as well

• Premium Member

The easiest thing to do would be to buy a 24 fps motor for it. If you also sell the existing 25 fps motor, you could come out very close to even.

The other approach would be to work as if you were doing European TV, with picture and sound both at 25 fps/50 Hz. That can be projected at 24 fps, with a very slight slowdown. That's how European shows are presented here, no problem really.

Another thing to consider: What is the frequency of your electrical utility system there in India? If it's 50 Hz, going with 25 fps will be safer for shooting with magnetic ballast discharge lamps, neon signs, etc. If it's 60 Hz, 24 fps will have that advantage.

-- J.S.

The easiest thing to do would be to buy a 24 fps motor for it. If you also sell the existing 25 fps motor, you could come out very close to even.

The other approach would be to work as if you were doing European TV, with picture and sound both at 25 fps/50 Hz. That can be projected at 24 fps, with a very slight slowdown. That's how European shows are presented here, no problem really.

Another thing to consider: What is the frequency of your electrical utility system there in India? If it's 50 Hz, going with 25 fps will be safer for shooting with magnetic ballast discharge lamps, neon signs, etc. If it's 60 Hz, 24 fps will have that advantage.

-- J.S.its 50 fps i think

• Premium Member

In a PAL telecine: YES a little with the regular motor, you'd probably need a crystal controlled motor (i.e. Tobin, Thoma, CE)

In a 24fps projector: NO of course not: you record at 25 fps and play back slower at 24.

You could speed up the audio for a test...

Also remember that the 2C is probably the last camera to use for dialogue (noise!) unless you have one of those blimps that weigh 3 tons (boy, these are heavy - even the Cine 60 plastic one weighs a lot)

In a PAL telecine: YES a little with the regular motor, you'd probably need a crystal controlled motor (i.e. Tobin, Thoma, CE)

In a 24fps projector: NO of course not: you record at 25 fps and play back slower at 24.

You could speed up the audio for a test...

Also remember that the 2C is probably the last camera to use for dialogue (noise!) unless you have one of those blimps that weigh 3 tons (boy, these are heavy - even the Cine 60 plastic one weighs a lot)

i have those blimps buts its ofcourse heavy and unrealiable now with all the digital muli mixing audio....i will probably use a nagra for recording audio on the 2c...

• 2 weeks later...