Total noob looking for advice on Bolex 660

Nicolass

Okay, if you take a look at this page -> http://www.adverts.ie/239942/film-cameras/bolex-660-macro-zoom-cine-camera/ you'll see that one of these is going for €100 with various bits 'n bobs thrown in. Now, I've just a developed an interest in filming stuff myself recently, and it's more just a little hobby I'd like to pursue - is this a good purchase? Or is it too much hassle for someone with no experience in this whatsoever?

Appreciate your replies guys. Thanks.

• Premium Member

I think the 660 does time-exposure and time-lapse and slow motion and stop motion and single frame. In other words, it does more than most digital video cameras would ever dare to provide. The "catch" being that actually using the camera can cost more when factoring in various costs of film, processing and transferring to video. However, many of the functions mentioned above (except for slow motion), use less film frames per use so you get more filming situations per film cartridge used.

(Correction, it is either the Bolex 680 or the Bolex 860 hat has all of the features I mentioned above) From the image you have linked to I am having trouble seeing the side of the camera very clearly. I can see the servo buttons for exposure and zoom on the top of the camera, but on the side of the camera I can't see the timer dial or the intervalometer dial because the picture is so dark so it is possible that the 660 has less features.)

Nicolass,

Please comply with the forum rules and change your display name to the First Name + Last Name format as required.

As for the camera, I think that Bolex (or it may have been model 550?) was my first camera back in the early 80's. It had a very sharp and reasonably fast lens.

Although it had a back-light button which opened the iris a stop, I do not think it had manual exposure. I recommend you find a camera with manual iris.