35mm lens coverage on 5K

Cannon and Nikon as well as others are touting their cameras, either now or soon to be with “full 35mm” chips. Or as I understand it 5K more or less.

This size equates to their old 35mm film cameras and lenses. This size being larger than 35mm film as the film was moving across rather than down.

Their lenses work with this format but PL mounting a D5 for example means that not all your film lenses will cover, right?

As no one is yet making industry standard top end lenses for D5’s etc. Lieca have stepped into the frame with their “soon to be” range. I have copied from a lens review post below..

“Leica lenses have been a mainstay on my still camera for longer than I care to admit. As part of their new PL mount series, venerable lens manufacturer Leitz is now offering the Leica Summilux (f1.4) design lens models to be released with 18mm, 21mm, 25mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 75mm and 100mm focal lengths. These weigh around 4 lbs., and will be delivered later this year to Band Pro, their exclusive worldwide distributor.

Seven more models are also on their way, bringing the set to a total of 15, ranging from a 12mm to a 150mm. All of them feature common 95mm front threads, with a common location for focus and aperture gears to facilitate faster lens changes on set. Pricing is comparable to other PL mount lens sets: the eight lens set runs approximately $178K USD.”

I am guessing these are aimed at the growing "stills camera for motion"(5D etc) market as well as the Epic/Scarlet market.

Now here is the part I cant seem to get answered. Will the Cooke S5’s or Zeiss’s new ranges or indeed any 35mm film lenses cover this “new” size of chip?

Are the back elements large enough to cover 5K.

Sorry if I am being really dull and missing something obvious here. Any help would be much appreciated.

I for one don't know, but one would assume that if the original still lenses covered 6 perf FF 35mm, the new rehousing / reissue for cine use would too. Specially with the advent of soon to be released FF35mm sized sensors, Epic et al. Hard to say in a general sort of way, may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer -- as Zeiss also has its still-cum-motion picture rehouse prime set.

I for one don't know, but one would assume that if the original still lenses covered 6 perf FF 35mm, the new rehousing / reissue for cine use would too. Specially with the advent of soon to be released FF35mm sized sensors, Epic et al. Hard to say in a general sort of way, may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer -- as Zeiss also has its still-cum-motion picture rehouse prime set.

This double posted question has been answered in lenses. The new lenses are not aimed at the DSLR market, which is lower budget sector, although no one will stop you putting one on a PL modified 7D.

5k is the pixel count, not the sensor size.

This double posted question has been answered in lenses. The new lenses are not aimed at the DSLR market, which is lower budget sector, although no one will stop you putting one on a PL modified 7D.

5k is the pixel count, not the sensor size.

Yea, sorry about the double post Brian. My bad.