Need to match discontinued Fuji stock

Hi all,

This is my first post here. be gentle!

I shot most of my thesis film on the now discontinued Fuji 8632, which was a 125T stock, using an orange filter in snowy exteriors. I need to go back and shoot some close ups and close inserts in very different (probably sunny) weather. I'm thinking about using a white bounce board to simulate the glare of snow and am trying to decide between shooting on another (undecided) Fuji stock or maybe using Kodak 7212, which is 100T and rating to match the 125T.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much for your help!

Actually it is Kodak 7213 that I am considering.

Hi all,

This is my first post here. be gentle!

I shot most of my thesis film on the now discontinued Fuji 8632, which was a 125T stock, using an orange filter in snowy exteriors. I need to go back and shoot some close ups and close inserts in very different (probably sunny) weather. I'm thinking about using a white bounce board to simulate the glare of snow and am trying to decide between shooting on another (undecided) Fuji stock or maybe using Kodak 7212, which is 100T and rating to match the 125T.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much for your help!

Hi. While I haven't shot the new 7213, the Kodak Vision 3 are generally very smooth grained, while most Fuji stocks tend to be grainier than any modern Kodak counterparts. A test would be the way to go here. I would push process the Kodak stock 1 stop for starters, but to properly match it, a test is required. The bounce card under the actor is a really good idea, I'd say.

Good luck.

• Premium Member

I'd go with a Fuji stock and then in the TC just match them to eachother. I think the grain differences between Kodak and Fuji would shine through too much. YOu can also buy some white paper in long rolls and throw it on the ground.

• Premium Member

64D will probably be too fine grained.. though it is an F series, and the 160 Vivid might be too punchy.. hard to say without seeing some original footage, but I might be tempted to go with 250.. which is a bit of overkill but with an 85 and some ND (ok a liberal amount of ND) you can get away with it. I would certainly, if possible, test the 64, and perhaps even under-expose it a bit and pull it back up in TC if you need more grain.

Yeah, if you could get a modern Fuji stock (the 160T or 250T and adjust in Tk), that would work. But I still think a good colorist could match the Kodak to the Fuji stock. I am shooting a project on 7212, 7217 and 8622 and the difference in not that great, particularly for HD finish. :ph34r:

Edited by Saul Rodgar