HID lighting

JD Hartman

Can someone validate these two statements? They were made by a DP/Director that I'm working with. They assert: the green spike produced by a metal halide globe (GE MVR1000, Philips MH1000) diminishes as the hours of "burn" time accumulate; the Terminator films were lit primarily with commercial MH fixtures not HMI's. Fact? Fiction?

Can someone validate these two statements? They were made by a DP/Director that I'm working with. They assert: the green spike produced by a metal halide globe (GE MVR1000, Philips MH1000) diminishes as the hours of "burn" time accumulate; the Terminator films were lit primarily with commercial MH fixtures not HMI's. Fact? Fiction?

Of course, there are high and low CRI MH bulbs and the higher ones will have less apparent green spike. There are many architectural and "entertainment" MH bulbs for example that are very suitable for film/television use. I haven't seen much evidence that if there is an apparent green spike that it diminishes. Of course any green spike that's there is more a problem on real film than on digital. Don't know about the terminator films but that's interesting if true.