colors in a shot

Hi,

I've heard somewhere that it's best to have shots with different shades of the same color (for example: different shades of yellow) or to have 2 completely different colors (for example blue and green). If you have more colors then your shot may not look good in terms of color. Is this true?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi,

I've heard somewhere that it's best to have shots with different shades of the same color (for example: different shades of yellow) or to have 2 completely different colors (for example blue and green). If you have more colors then your shot may not look good in terms of color. Is this true?

Thanks for your help :)

If you're referring to the color of light in the scene, it is highly dependent on the cinematographers interpretation of the story. Different or contrasting colors will do just that. Add contrast to the frame. Not having contrast in the color of the light offers equally beautiful results. For example Apocalypse Now has many scenes with their own color motif.

Again, I think it boils down to what YOU the cinematographer feels is right for the story.