Moonlight on water

Hey, I was shooting a short recently at the ocean and really wanted to get a reflection of the moon on the water. I was wondering what is the way to go about doing this? And also getting a decent exposure from it. I have heard of using an HMI balloon on a boat but how would you go about hiding that if it were a wide frame? Let me know what you think.

Nick

The moon itself is pretty bright, the problem may be more getting the dark sea exposed rather than getting a reflection. Also if you want moon to be more than a bright object, so that you see the moon's surface? It's the same size as the sun, so it'll be a hard light.

• Premium Member

Hey, I was shooting a short recently at the ocean and really wanted to get a reflection of the moon on the water.

Hopefully you're not shooting with a HDSLR? One of the worst examples of aliasing with them is reflections off waves and ripples in water.

Hopefully you're not shooting with a HDSLR? One of the worst examples of aliasing with them is reflections off waves and ripples in water.

Hey we actually did, the 7D. I wanted 16mm but the budget wouldn't allow it. Can you explain what you mean above? And also, yes I was trying to get an exposure on the sea. I recall in A Single Man the sea having a very nice moon reflection on it.

Nick