Any suggestion for film school. Please Help

Hey everyone

I'm a danish student who is currently looking to study Motion Picture Arts after my high school graduation next summer. As I won several awards and believe to have a solid portfolio, great high school grades and a diploma for a 3-years filmschool program, I find my chance to be reasonable for attending one of many undergraduate programs (BA or BFA) in the US. The only major problem, of course, is my financial situation as the danish government only founds master degree's. As I will have to pay every dime out of my own pocket, I need something very affordable. As soon as I finish my bachelor, the danish government can found my cinematography master's at UCLA, USC and AFI Conservatory.

I've already found four different Universities that I find reasonable: San Diego State University (first priory), University of North Carolina and University of Houston. All have annual tuitions around 21-22.000 for non-residents, including campus, books and health insurance cost (which I don't need as I'm already covered by Vanbreda International). Additionally, I looked up Academy of Art University in San Francisco which should cost 22,000, but doesn't include housing.

So, I am asking if you have any comments to my research or any suggestions to undergraduate programs with affordable tuitions (that I can pay for myself) ?

Hope you can help...

Ziryab Ben,

Edited by Ziryab Ben Brahem

Sorry, but I don't have real knowledge about low cost/great places to study film making in the US.

But I do wonder,as you are form Denmark, why not study in what is considered to be one of the finest film schools in the world? The National film school of Denmark. Such great artists came out from this school.

Is the institution lost its prestige?

Edited by Oron Cohen

Finally someone answer...hehe :)

Anyway, I'm fully aware of the presence of National Film school of Denmark. I visited the schools several times and even know some of the teachers there.

One of the problems with it is that they don't consider my age (18) to be appropriate. Even though I'm not too young according to the school's policy, I'm most likely to be rejected. As well, the school doesn't count as an academic degree, and doesn't open any door for me in terms of getting my MFA in Cinematography. And I do need a Bachelor Degree in order to get a scholarship for my future studies at UCLA, USC or AFI.

• 1 month later...

I guess this might be a little bias, but I would recommend the University of Montana. It's not really recognized country wide yet, but the film program has received good funding lately. I can't remember what the tuition is exactly, but being a Montana school it will be low. It's an art school, so it's the place to go for a fine arts degree. Montana State University in Bozeman has been rated high in the country, but I didn't like the program myself. It focuses more on the technichal side of filmmaking, instead of the artistic side, which I think is more important. A lot of the projects in the classes were pointless. i didn't feel like I was learning anything. I learned more at U of M in Missoula in one semester than I did two years at MSU in Bozeman. So that's my pitch for U of M in Missoula, MT.

Good luck,

Rick

my first question is, what do you really want to do and why do you need to go to school to do it? NO school anywhere will ever truly help you build a viable career. It can be a jumping off point, but living your life actually shooting movies means getting out there and doing it. That gets your name out there and you build to bigger and bigger projects. No diploma from any school will help you become a working cameraman.

just my two cents. i went to a two year tech school in charleston, sc and had almost all my credits transfer to SCAD. i know of a few of their students working in the industry. but tons of people come out of my school and get work. some even drop out because of work. we have army wives shooting here full time and most students end up working on that.