Soundproofing for greenscreen studio

matthewb

I need some advice from all the soundies out there. I have a room that i am fitting out as a green screen studio, but the floor, walls and ceiling are all concrete slab and one of the walls is glass windows. Needless to say echoes are a bit of an issue. Are there any solutions for soundproofing or sound absorbing material, that are cost effective. Budget is not huge, so the best value solution would be great.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I need some advice from all the soundies out there. I have a room that i am fitting out as a green screen studio, but the floor, walls and ceiling are all concrete slab and one of the walls is glass windows. Needless to say echoes are a bit of an issue. Are there any solutions for soundproofing or sound absorbing material, that are cost effective. Budget is not huge, so the best value solution would be great.

Start out by going to a thrift store and purchase some beat up dirt cheap used rugs/carpets and spread them around on the floor and hang from any walls you can. Will probably solve most of your problems for $50 total.

If the ceiling is an issue after that...you can buy sheets of acoustic foam pretty affordably at Markertek.com

http://www.markertek.com/Acoustic-Materials/Acoustic-Foam/TOWER-1A.xhtml?MF-3&bs

$44 for 54"x54"x2" sheets.

Don't forget that in most instances on a green screen you can garbage mat in post meaning your microphone can be in the frame as long as there is some green space showing between mic and subject. Do the cheap acoustic treatment and keep the mic close and you should be fine.

• Premium Member

Air conditioning duct board is the best "bang for the buck". That's the sheet stock used to construct ducting and plenums and IS sound rated by its manufacturers.

Go to a supply house that stocks heating and a/c supplies and ask to see what they have. You'll probably find they stock the 1" size which is usual. There are two common types, one is raw yellow fiberglass and the other is black. Try to get the black, it's better at not shedding.

• Premium Member

Also, once you're all lit and have established the safe places in the room, drape some furnie pads from c-stands and get them as close in as you can. It doesn't have to be a solid wall of them. One or two in the right places can have surprisingly great sound-deadening effects.

It should be noted that sound proofing usually means to stop sound travelling outside of the area. For example in a sound proof studio you shouldn't be able to hear the music from a room with an adjacent wall.

Things like Foam and duvets will not affect this whatsoever. If you hang a duvet up in your room then you will almost certainly hear just as much sound outside the room as before.

If you are concerned about excessive reverb then this is more like sound treatment, so things like curtains, duvets, a sofa, cushions, carpet, foam, can all reduce the reverberation time. You could also add diffusion type things to break up the reverb too.

love

Freya