Bolex Super 16

Isaac Brooks

Hi,

I have a recent Bolex SBM that is Super 16 converted, making its pressure pad wider and hence a little more tricky to remove. Is it Ok that it slides against the rail to the left of the gate while I get it out, and what sort of wear should I look for of as I use it more and more? Thanks!

Isaac

• Premium Member

Hi Isaac,

For future reference there is a forum specifically for Bolex on this site where posts like this belong.

To answer your question: it's best to avoid anything metal scraping against the pressure plate surface.

When you lift the right side pin and swing out the pressure plate it should swing out far enough to clear the gate rail. Check that nothing is jamming as you do this.

There are two spacer screws connecting the pressure plate to the swing arm, a short one on the left and long one on the right, with a spring in between. It's unlikely, but check that the left side spacer screw has not come loose, allowing the pressure plate to extend further towards the gate.

As far as wear goes, I wouldn't worry about it. Under normal conditions the pressure plate surface will last for years.

Pressure plate wider ?

That is probably a Bolex super16 conversion ... They are also shorter if I recall.

I never found out why they needed them, conversions done outside of Bolex use the same pressure plate and have no issues... Its not as if the aperture plate itself gets any wider

You should have enough spring movement to be able to pull it out without scratching the smooth plate surface on the guide rails however.

I have had a pressure plate wear a little from using older magnetic stripe stock which acted as an abrasive - no amount of nose oil would stop it, but newer super16 footage in that area shows no issues anyway

go figure ! ;)

Not all pressure plates are the same. Some have a sharply defined edge and these can work fine with some lateral position adjustment.

Others have a rounded edge that does not rest properly on the narrow super16 guide rail and allows the film to buckle.

These have to be replaced with the new design.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis