Bolex Bayonet Mount

Isaac Brooks

Hello,

I have two models of the SBM, both very recent, one is the classic chrome model and the other is a black, hammerite Super 16 model, which I just purchased. The new camera is great, but the bayonet mount seems a little loose when loosened, if that makes sense. It has some give to it and even lifts up (the camera's hammerite-painted front does move not of course) Is this OK? Is it just a sign of a newer mount? The slightly older SBM has a mount that takes more strength to turn and does not move around so much when loosened.

I know that to really see the difference, you have to see the cameras, but I'd appreciate it if you could share any ideas you have. I'm assuming that it is fine, I'm just curious, as I have spent good money for this body.

Thanks!

Isaac

My EL is quite dampened, quite a bit of lubricant of some sort in there - my SB has one of its er... 'thingies' missing and it's a lot looser than the EL, but still hold any lens as it should

By thingies, I mean if you look inside the bayonet there are three semicircular plates that guide in the lens into place, each held down by two screws - if you rotate the mounting ring you can see them more ...

I have one missing, and another one broken off at the screw point (obvious area of less profile and weakness)

Anyway, like I said - still working fine - but it is causing the mount to be much looser when its undone. Maybe you have a similar situation ?

My EL is quite dampened, quite a bit of lubricant of some sort in there - my SB has one of its er... 'thingies' missing and it's a lot looser than the EL, but still hold any lens as it should

By thingies, I mean if you look inside the bayonet there are three semicircular plates that guide in the lens into place, each held down by two screws - if you rotate the mounting ring you can see them more ...

I have one missing, and another one broken off at the screw point (obvious area of less profile and weakness)

Anyway, like I said - still working fine - but it is causing the mount to be much looser when its undone. Maybe you have a similar situation ?

Like Chris says, the type of lubricant used on the tightening ring will greatly affect the feel and amount of play in the parts.

It would appear that one is not lubricated the same as the other. If you want it nice and tight, you should have looked at by a Bolex tech.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis