Shooting Super 16 stock on a Regular 16 Bolex

Matthew Williams

Greetings all,

Please forgive the remedial query, I'm relatively new to the biz...

I've got a lovely Bolex H16 'RX4' with a set of three decent primes (10mm, 16mm, 75mm). Is it possible to shoot Super 16 stock in this camera? It only requires one perf, but of course the lenses and framing are for Regular 16. Several people have told me I can use Super 16 stock without worries, but others have said the opposite. Any light you can shed on this subject (no pun intended)?

Thanks,

Matthew

• Premium Member
Greetings all,

Please forgive the remedial query, I'm relatively new to the biz...

I've got a lovely Bolex H16 'RX4' with a set of three decent primes (10mm, 16mm, 75mm). Is it possible to shoot Super 16 stock in this camera? It only requires one perf, but of course the lenses and framing are for Regular 16. Several people have told me I can use Super 16 stock without worries, but others have said the opposite. Any light you can shed on this subject (no pun intended)?

Thanks,

Matthew

Edit: I just checked in my American Cinematographer's Manual and it lists the Bolex H16's mechanism as "single claw pulldown" so I think single perf stock will be alright. You might look as I detailed below to make sure, though.

As long as the camera only has one pulldown claw, you're golden. Super 16 stock is just 16mm stock that is missing perfs on one side. Take a look in the camera, if the only pulldown claw is on the right side (with the camera right side up and positioned as if you were looking out through the lens), you're good. If it has two claws, you'll have to get double perf stock.

Edited by Christopher D. Keth

Hi

The bolex RX4 has a single claw. Single perf stock is absolutely fine but gives no shooting advantage. Double perf stock was once preferred as a better tool for negative matching, when making up A & B rolls but it did not offer any advantages or disadvantages in shooting

Bruce