My Super 8 telecine machine

Pavan Deep

I have been working on a frame by frame telecine machine for sometime now. Originally I used an ordinary dual projector, linked to a machine vision camera. The set up worked great, but it was still a conventional projector which had all the usual issues that projectors have. In my experience projectors are rough on film, I was constantly cleaning the projector so I decided to build a new telecine machine which isn't based on adapting a projector.

Here's what it looks like with the top cover off [i hope the image is visible].

I have used bits from several cameras and projectors to build this unit including a Bauer 500XLM, an Agfa Family camera and projector and a portable Hanimex Moveimat projector. I have used a low wattage diffused white LED and have paid particular attention to the gate and how the film is stopped, reducing the contact the film has with the mechanism thus eliminating scratches. I have also built an integral cleaning unit.

P

Hi

Thanks.

Youur right I am using unit lens a Schneider Krueznach Componon 50mm enlarger lens, which is fitted to an unusual looking adaptor [which looks like another lens lens] that screws onto the C Mount extension tubes.

I have built extension arms so that I can use larger reels which works well, but I find it's a lot more compact and easier to use 50 foot reels.

Now that the machine is working perfectly I am beginning to experiment with Avisynth, it's quite complex.

P