Need advice on dual Reg8/Sup8 projectors: Chinon 2500GL vs Eumig Mark S 802 D

Robert J. Fox

Hello gurus -- need your advice. I have the opportunity to get these projectors locally and can't decide which to go for. I haven't inspected either yet, so that may be the determining factor, but on paper I guess there's not that much difference, is there?

I want to project both regular8 and super8 as I have a good collection of both, and I also want to do so simple digital camera copying for quick digital use. The seller of the Chinon is asking $25 and the seller of the Eumig $40.

TIA,

Robert

Edited by Robert J. Fox

Hi Robert, In my opinion, the EUMIG Mark S 802 D is a much better projector (provided it's working correctly). First, it's a sound projector so it will play magnetic sound films, both in 8mm and Super 8mm formats, with the Regular 8mm also correct for the 56 frame audio advance. Second, the projector uses separate film gates and film sprockets so that each of the two formats is projected correctly. The machine is built like a tank, and taken care of, should last many years. Also, repairing it is usually worth the cost should it need sorting out in the future.

The CHINON 2500GL is a non-sprocket driven projector, silent only....no sound, similar to the GAF and other type dual 8mm using a single claw and adjustable film gate. Thus the single film claw is doing all the work of pulling the film down from the supply reel and pushing it thru the gate. This places a more potential wear on the film, especially after repeated plays, and of course any film that might have some perforation damage, the film could slip or jam. These type units are also used in modified form for telecine transfer, but since those special purpose machines and not for regular projection enjoyment of films, it's a different situation altogether.

So, my money is on the EUMIG, but do double check to see that both sets of film gates and sprocket wheels are included. They are often hidden within the projector cover side panel that is removable. Last thought here, since they are both selling so cheap.....get both of them if you can afford to. I mean, really, the CHINON is selling for less than what a replacement bulb would cost with shipping. I'm sure having it would come in handy for various uses later. Good luck!

I have to agree with Martin, not only because he knows what he's talking about, but also as a former Chinon 2500GL owner.

Nearly 10 years ago when I was living in the US and film-chain transferring my own S8 footage, I owned the 2500GL and loved it. It was very lightweight, loaded easily, had a variable speed control and it gave me few problems.

However, it is not the brightest projector to begin with, and the lens is not the best in terms of image quality.

Also, I do remember having a few jams and when this would happen, it would burn a whole in the film at that frame which was very pretty for that one second, but not when you don't intend to do it.

Later, after having owned nice Elmo's and having used projectors like the Eumig, I realized the awkwardness of the 2500GL. I have a soft spot for the 2500GL because it's nostalgic and it's pleasant to look at, but I must admit the Eumig is a much better projector.

But it is a good candidate if you want to transfer to NTSC video by film chain method, simply because the variable speed control makes it very easy to do so with no modification to the projector.

Edited by Edward Koehler

Before buying the Eumig(or any projector for that matter) always run a test reel of film through it to check out all the functions. The Eumig is a great machine, but be wary of examples that do not advance the film through the gate properly. A common and fatal flaw is to have one of the teeth of the claw broken off - the bottom one if for the film going forward and if it is missing, the projector is just a source of parts for a good machine at that point.