Cinematographers Mathematic Cheat Sheet?

Alex Zustra

Does anyone know of a comprehensive guide to cinematography math/conversions? I'm talking about everything from crop factors to FOV calculation to say stops lost with an ASA change (easy I know, but think comprehensive). I think this would be an amazing thing to just laminate and have handy for those less experienced or for those brain dead moments.

Things like shutter angles for different lighting/exposure situations as well.

Sorry for double post.

Surely some amalgamation of the forms found in the ASC manual, guides online, and your own prepared mathematics would suffice. I can see it being easy to simply scan, edit, and format them to your liking once you have the information you need.

Cheat-sheets are great in a crunch situation (certainly math isn't a forte of many in this profession), but I don't think laminating one and never learning the practical meaning of the math is good either.

A laminated card shouldn't become a crutch without which, you are unable to understand how DOF changes with stopping down, or the appropriate uses of F/- and T-stops, or the basic filter factors with different color-correction filters.

What I think is bad about "cheat sheets" too, is that they are often long lists of formulae. While you can plug things into them all day long, that isn't the same as knowing what the concepts actually mean. One of the best examples of this is circle of confusion. Contrary to popular opinion, it is NOT named in honor of how few cameramen actually understand it!

All that in mind (you need to learn to understand these principles, not just have them all programmed into your iPhone Four :-p), I have twenty or thirty pages of "cheat sheets" I'd be happy to e-mail to you. . .