People who works on a film

Hi, I'm new to this community and I'd like to know what do the people who works on a film do. I know that the director is the leader but, what's the difference between a director and a photography director? I'd also like to know what do the guy who appears as "screenplay" does. I've seen in some movies something like "screenplay by ...." (english isn't my mother language so I don't have any clue about what screenplay is).

I hope that someone can help me and aswer my questions.

Thanks in advance

Ulises

Edited by Ulises

• Premium Member

I think your problem may be more of understanding English than knowing obscure film terms, because a director directs the movie, the cinematographer photographs it, the screenwriter writes the screenplay, etc. So if you don't know what a screenplay is, it would probably be better if you first looked these terms up in a dictionary and THEN asked us to explain further IF you're still confused. I don't mean to be rude but if a question is TOO basic, like "what's a film camera?" then I feel that the person hasn't done some basic looking-up first before asking us. "Screenplay by" is self-evident -- the person listed created the screenplay. The screenplay is the script.

Well... this is a starting filmakers (first time filmakers forum if we have to be precise) so I don't think my question is out of place but anyway... I'm a little confused 'cause I don't know where one job ends and the another starts. I know that the director directs (pretty obvius uh?) but, does the director designs the framing and then the photographer makes the shot? and where comes the camarographer? (I know that the camarographer actually operates the camera just in case anbody wants to mention it). I know that a writer makes a script but, is the same the screenplay and the script?

I have an idea of what these people do but I don't know what they EXACTLY do. I've directed myself three sort films (amateur) with a very little crew, but know I'm working in a short film with more people under my direction (we are students).

And about screenplay, well, I can speak english as you can see and I'm just asking for a definition because litteral translations aren't accurate in all cases. In my mother language we have two types of script "litteral script" and "technical script" (last one indicates how we have to shot). Is the guy who makes de "technical script" (framing etc etc) the screenplay? BTW I also know what a screen is.

Thanks

Ulises

Edited by Ulises

a screenplay and a script is the same thing.

"camarographer" is actually called camera operator. There is no such term as "camarographer."

As far as directing is concerned different directors have different approaches. Some directors will actually frame their shots, while others will just give the DP the size of the shot they are looking for-close up, medium shot, etc. I've also worked with a director that let me map out his film, visually. It really varies with directors.

What country are you posting from?

I'd like to know what do the people who works on a film do.

There is a good description of most people's roles that has been written by a cinematographer, Oliver Stapleton. It's at

Oliver Stapleton's Website

At first glance you may find it very cynical (as well as very amusing), but it does give one man's view of how it all really works.

Hi, i think you should learn more about the director of photography (DOP) becouse his role in pre-production and during the shooting period is very important. it's a little bit difficult to understand this profession for the foreign people (for ex. for me at the beginning of my studies, I am from russia and we don't have this profession in our cinema industry). I was studing in London and it was a big surprise for me to know the great special meaning of DOP. DOP or cinematographer or cameramen is responsible for the lighting first of all, for all the special nuances of lighting. So he creates an image and he is the right hand of the director. all the good famous directors are working with one DOP for a long time from one movie to another. maybe you know everything by your experience if not just let me know and i'll write you some special books and articles about DOP wrriten by thamselfs.