Beauty Dish look

Since I started using a beauty dish with my strobes for still photography, I've absolutely fallen in love with the combination of softness with snooted controllability when used in conjunction with grids. Is there any type of modifier that can be used with continuous lighting?

I'd tested out my 22" beauty dish with a Lowel Pro Light, but doubt the dish could stand up to the heat of anything larger. I certainly wish I could achieve the soft yet spotted effect without a forest of flags!

Edited by David Carstens

Broncolor has an HMI fixture that has some similar reflector options to a dish. They also offer an adapter to use their primarily flash accessories on Kobold (since they are owned by the same company, makes sense) HMI fixtures.

I have heard of some other brand that make accessory mounts for flash modifiers on continuous light, but I can't remember any others off hand. I don't recall any using tungsten lamps, only HMI.

I forgot to mention that you should not use the grid on the Beauty Dish due to excessive heat build up.

Profoto came out with an HMI a couple years a go but was discontinued so it is no longer listed on their Web Site .. BUT.. they are still available to rent from Samy's, PIX and Calumet.

It is the Pro Daylight 1200watt

• 2 weeks later...

Profoto recently announced a new set of HMI's (at Photokina), but they probably won't hit the market for a few more months. If you can scare up a ProDaylight they're pretty great.

But that K5600 Crossover is awesome. I've used it several times in the last month on 200, 400, & 800 Jokers. On the 800 I wouldn't use the grid, but I ran it with a grid on the 400 and didn't have any issues. And they're only about $150, so if your'e doing both stills & motion a lot, it's probably a handy thing to have in your bag.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Take a look at the "stupid light" detailed in this post by Shane Hurlbut. The principle is the exact same as a beauty dish, no direct light, only bounced (honestly, you could probably even just throw a silver tipped bulb in a Home Depot clamp light). If you're looking for a less harsh light than what would be reflected off of shiny metal, you can paint the reflector matte white.

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2011/11/11/building-the-perfect-key-light/