Reflective light metering at a distance

Well then, at this point you need to get a *spot* meter, a highly specialized, expensive instrument that has a smaller angle of incidence. You can pick up a Nikon F series 35mm camera, with a built in spot meter, for less, but there are ways around needing a spot if you're broke.

Get a guy with a cell phone/walkie, and a light meter to get access to this area, and take a reading. Unless you're shooting a building on another planet, or a top-secret military base (even there you could probably, with the right contacts, get someone on the base to take a reading for you), there's nothing on Earth that you can't get close to.

Get a guy with a cell phone/walkie, and a light meter to get access to this area, and take a reading. Unless you're shooting a building on another planet, or a top-secret military base (even there you could probably, with the right contacts, get someone on the base to take a reading for you), there's nothing on Earth that you can't get close to.

Or you could just buy a second hand spot meter....

There are many available on ebay. Minolta used to make one, the Model F, or the older model M. Pentax also made one. There are also numerous combined incident and spot meters.

I recommended second-hand F-series Nikons as cheaper, as he's obviously on a budget.

I don't own a spot-meter, but I would assume they'd retail for more than $150, even used. . .

Andrew McCarron's words: "I don't need anything fancy [. . .]"

Edited by Karl Borowski

• Premium Member

Hi,

I was looking to invest in a new light meter that would let me take a reading of something like a wall of a building I can't close to.

I don't need anything fancy or new.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex

You could take an incident reading from where you are, if your outside the light will not be very different, of just use the sunny F16 rule.