Fisher Dolly speed wheels

Rob Fischer

Has anyone got any experience using the fisher dolly replacement wheels ( pics below ) for use on tracks?

Never saw those before Rob. Looks like more of a pain in the ass than its worth. Why not use trays with speedwheels (skateboard wheels) ? Fisher makes a great set of these.

hey Sanjay

I know the fisher skate wheels and they are great . The thing is that they don't have the break for one , and they make you higher than normal too. also you have to lift the dolly on separately which is a ball ache too. the problem is this . I use a Hustler dolly and my own brand of track which are 6 meters long , so the joins are reduced . The trouble with the Hustler is that the wheels are formed to the curve of the tube of the track and are a snug fit . therefore they feel any bumps or nicks whereas a hybrid or pee wee don't feel a thing .

So given that the Hustler has two sets of tracking wheels ( something I am still baffled by as to why )I figured that I can leave a set of these on one side and the original on the other . I am busy making some up for the Hustler .

I will let you know if I'm wasting my time and end up using my speed wheels

cheers

hey Sanjay

I know the fisher skate wheels and they are great . The thing is that they don't have the break for one , and they make you higher than normal too. also you have to lift the dolly on separately which is a ball ache too. the problem is this . I use a Hustler dolly and my own brand of track which are 6 meters long , so the joins are reduced . The trouble with the Hustler is that the wheels are formed to the curve of the tube of the track and are a snug fit . therefore they feel any bumps or nicks whereas a hybrid or pee wee don't feel a thing .

So given that the Hustler has two sets of tracking wheels ( something I am still baffled by as to why )I figured that I can leave a set of these on one side and the original on the other . I am busy making some up for the Hustler .

I will let you know if I'm wasting my time and end up using my speed wheels

cheers

So that contraption will live on the dolly ? I thought you'd have to take the outer wheel off and replace it with the track wheels, which seemed more of a pain than skates.

Post some pictures once you make them. Maybe I'll order a set from you ;)

Thats the idea , they would stay on . By putting the dolly in crab they could be inside or out , That's what I don't get though , why do the dollies have two sets of tracking wheels ? the soft wheels are too soft to use on a track so there's no point in having both compounds on . I tried emailing chapman but they never respond .

These track wheels where Fisher's answer for use of their Fisher 8 & 9s on round track prior to the advent of "speed wheels". Remember their used their own square track that the regular wheels ran on without having to switch anything.

About six years ago Fisher developed their own round track wheel that did away with the little dual wheels and was the same as their regular diameter wheel. (see Fisher's website for pictures - under accessories).

There is grip in Florida that's making Speed Wheels with a plunger brake.

I remember the square track . I figured that that is the reason for these add on wheels . all of this still doesn't explain why some dollies have 2 sets of wheels on each corner . got any links to that guy in florida to check out what he's got ?

We thought about a brake system on speed wheels , but you still have the extra effort of going onto the speed wheels and the extra height

. all of this still doesn't explain why some dollies have 2 sets of wheels on each corner .

Rob I suspect that the 2 sets of track wheels is so that you can go Chinese (sideways) without needing a complicated speedwheel rig. On the Fisher 10 (if you use the big trackwheels) when you crab the wheels to setup to go sideways, you have one track wheel in and one out. They dont line up to track . Maybe this is Chapmans solution to that problem. You still need wider guage track or 2 sets of track ( or a PeeWee ;) )

fortunately my track can be any width you need since we don't use cross members, so I don't have that problem. But Ya that was the other thought about why they do it . I suppose there's always a simple explanation and I wasn't sure how often other grips use Chinese since you have to lay 2 tracks.

here's our track in the wider versions

post-48381-049859600 1287345225.jpg

post-48381-035160400 1287345428.jpg

The Speed Wheels with brakes can be found here:

http://gripgoodies.com/

As for the use of dual wheels? I feel that only Fisher can answer that (Warwick?). Maybe heading towards the idea of more wheels to spread the dolly load onto (evolution of the 32 wheel speed wheel)? I don't believe it had anything to mounting the dolly perpendicular to the track.

The Speed Wheels with brakes can be found here:

http://gripgoodies.com/

As for the use of dual wheels? I feel that only Fisher can answer that (Warwick?). Maybe heading towards the idea of more wheels to spread the dolly load onto (evolution of the 32 wheel speed wheel)? I don't believe it had anything to mounting the dolly perpendicular to the track.

Actually Dave, I was refering to the 2 identical sets of track wheels on the Hustler 4.

Rob - I heard about the dragon grips track from steve caddie who was one of my assistant grips on The darjeeling limited and then saw it on your website and realised that Dragon grips was you and Michelletti.

Sanjay - I see. Two track wheels side by side (Hustler IV) vs two track wheels in tandem (old style Fisher).

You'll have to ask Darryl about that. I'm a Hybrid guy and he's the Hustler guy. However, I see nothing in the Hustler Manual about mounting the dolly sideways.

Hope you're having fun and doing well (besides missing your family)

Actually Dave, I was refering to the 2 identical sets of track wheels on the Hustler 4.

Rob - I heard about the dragon grips track from steve caddie who was one of my assistant grips on The darjeeling limited and then saw it on your website and realised that Dragon grips was you and Michelletti.

I remember that's when you called me about the tracks . I have since moved on though , much better now .

Hope you're having fun and doing well (besides missing your family)

Freezing my ass off in Berlin doing car chase sequence. Look forward to 20 frigid night shoots in november. Who schedules night shoots in November in germany ?? Sadistic AD's who know the nights are going to be real long !!