Brands compatible with Mac

Hello,

I am a student, but I can't continue school right now. In the mean time, I'm going to work on some projects with some friends. I am getting a Macbook Pro with Final Cut Studio. In the past I had a Sony camcorder (not a professional camera) and I had some problems loading the footage onto my computer. Is there a preferred brand of camera that is compatible with Mac ( I'm looking for professional camcorders and still cameras.)

Thank you.

Rick K.

Edited by Richard Kinkade

User error doesn't sound too far off. So if that's the case, do you have any personal preferences in a specific peice of equipment? I won't need a lot of high speed features, but I would like to film in HD. And I would like a camera with a hard drive. Thanks for the info.

Rick

No problem,

The camera you use definitely depends on the scope of the project. If you're simply looking for an affordable camera that shoots HD with an easy workflow, the Panasonic HVX is probably right up your alley. There are a few others that are in this same range, but I've used the HVX many times and it really is a great camera for it's price point. Another camera you may want to look into is the JVC GY-HD250U. Another great camera in the same price range that allows for interchangeable lenses. A big plus for cameras in this range.

Either one of these will work perfectly with Final Cut as should almost any camera you throw at it. You just have to do a little homework and know what you're doing.

Hope that helps,

Dylan

• Premium Member

Depending on where you stand on budget and how important "quality visuals," are to you, and where you'll be showing it, I might be inclined to recommend an older cheaper DV camera, like a GL2 or XL2, and then paying more for good audio as well as all the camera support stuff (tripod, some lighting, etc) instead of dropping too much on just a camera package. An example to give you some idea would be my own XDCam package, which had an MSRP of like 6500$, but after all the accessories needed to really get something to use for production, I probably spent around 10K (Camera, Cards, Batteries, Mattebox, on set hard drives for backup (and computer if needed), tripod, small light kit etc...)