Lens Flares and Ghosting on Old TV Cameras?

Wayland Bell

Completely out of curiosity I was wondering if anybody could explain what, mechanically, causes the ghost tails on lens flares shot with old Television Cameras. I've found a couple good examples of them:

This one is chocked full of them but its very easy too see at at 1:01 on his helmet.

This one only has a couple but at 1:05 theres a perfect one in the upper left and another at 2:14 in the same place.

I've been trying to replicate this look for a long time but I've never pinned down the necessary elements. I know it takes a slow shutter speed but as far as the actual ghosting I have no clue how to achieve it in camera. Or if it can even be achieved with more modern cams. Thanks ahead for any insight.

Looks like old tube video camera trails (ghosting) to me. Dunno how you can recreate that look with anything else (digitally). Getting a tube camera would be the easiest, if you know of someone who can calibrate it and put it up to spec, as they were notoriously hard to keep working properly and consistently.

'Embedding disabled by request'.

It takes a few seconds for a bright light to fade from a vidicon tube. Meanwhile, if you pan, you get a trail which fades with time. Nothing to do with shutter speed. CCDs used to ghost vertically from bright lights but that was fixed years ago.

I agree, you'll need an old tube camera to experiment with. It was considered a fault and when it was fixed no-one was interested in having it back. When you do see the effect in a film, it's usually been done for real, with an old camera, or a newer one suitably hacked.