deanamorphic viewfinder KINOR 35H

daniel mahlknecht

Hi,

I yust got a deanamorphic viewfinder for the KINOR 35H.

But I cant get a decently sharp image out of it, is this a general issue, or am I making something wrong.

As things are now a sharp squeezed image is preferable over the unsharp desqueezed one.

In this link you can see a picture that compares the standard with the deanamorphic viewfinder.

www.dapalmerfilm.com/fotos/Viewfinders.jpg

thanks

Daniel

Hi,

I yust got a deanamorphic viewfinder for the KINOR 35H.

But I cant get a decently sharp image out of it, is this a general issue, or am I making something wrong.

As things are now a sharp squeezed image is preferable over the unsharp desqueezed one.

In this link you can see a picture that compares the standard with the deanamorphic viewfinder.

www.dapalmerfilm.com/fotos/Viewfinders.jpg

thanks

Daniel

Do you have original Kinor-35H anamorphic ground glass ?

Can you see a cross and border lines on ground glass ?

To test of viewfinder without lens.

You must see a cross and borders on ground glass with high sharpness.

If not, need check a viewfinder.

• Premium Member

I agree with Olex, I think you have a problem with your deanamorphic viewfinder.

I have found that I need to rely on a camera tech to sort out many of the alignment issues with the Kinor 35H. Parts that should be interchangeable from one camera to another often are not, they require a "massage" to set them up on another camera that appears identical. I would take the camera/viewfinder/lens to a tech and have everything set up correctly, then you should be good to go. It's not an Arri or Panaflex, but it can make great pictures cheap once it's all set up right.

Thanks,

this might help. The viewefinder itself is in exellent shape, so I'm sure there is noting broken.

Maybe one thing could be.

When I recieved the camera, the prism in the viewfinderblock had slipped out.

I put it into place as good as I could, in order to be able to use the short and the long viewfinder.

But with the long viewfinder, there still is a slight vignetting, as the viewfinder has to be mounted the other way round. I couldn't find a position that would fit perfectly for both viewfinders.

So maybe the prism could be the cause of the focusing problems? Or is it more likely, that it's the deanamprphic piece itself?

thanks

Daniel

• Premium Member

I am not suggesting the deanamorphic viewfinder is broken, but that the way it is set up may not be right for your particular camera.

Yes, the prism in the viewfinder block could be a problem. It is an odd design, the prism is held in by nothing but tension from 2 pieces of cork. I had a tech fiddle with one for some time to get it right on one of my cameras, he locked it down with nail polish.