Final Cut Pro HD and DVCPRO50 16:9 24p advanced

Jay Wood

We just purchased final cut pro hd and I am having difficulty establishing the settings to capture correctly. We are shooting in 16:9 24p advanced on an SDX900. The settings in FCP capture are very clear for DVCPRO HD, but DVCPRO50 seems quite a bit more difficult. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

What frame size should we choose? Apple doesn't offer DVCPRO50 16:9 in the list. Should we check the anamorphic box? What about the compressor? It offers DVCPRO50 NTSC, but do we want this when our objective is to go to film? What about the fps? If we are shooting in 24p advanced and are planning to go to film, should we choose 24 or the 23.98? And there some conversion we must do once the 24p advanced is captured?

Sorry for such a flurry of questions. We thought this was going to be easy. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jay Wood

• Premium Member
We just purchased final cut pro hd and I am having difficulty establishing the settings to capture correctly. We are shooting in 16:9 24p advanced on an SDX900. The settings in FCP capture are very clear for DVCPRO HD, but DVCPRO50 seems quite a bit more difficult. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

What frame size should we choose? Apple doesn't offer DVCPRO50 16:9 in the list. Should we check the anamorphic box? What about the compressor? It offers DVCPRO50 NTSC, but do we want this when our objective is to go to film? What about the fps? If we are shooting in 24p advanced and are planning to go to film, should we choose 24 or the 23.98? And there some conversion we must do once the 24p advanced is captured?

Jay Wood

You should use CCIR 601 NTSC 720X486 at 24fps, yes check the anamorphic box,use the DVCPRO50 NTSC codec at full quality, click the remove advanced pulldown 2:3.3:2 in your capture preset window, and edit in 24P in your sequence.

Im working in PAL so I hope this helps you.

• Premium Member
You should use CCIR 601 NTSC 720X486 at 24fps, yes check the anamorphic box,use the DVCPRO50 NTSC codec at full quality, click the remove advanced pulldown 2:3.3:2 in your capture preset window, and edit in 24P in your sequence.

Im working in PAL so I hope this helps you.

I'm not sure why you're not seeing it, but there's a DV50 NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic CAPTURE PRESET setting built into FCP HD (designed to capture DVCPRO50 over firewire). Assuming you're capturing over firewire, just use it, and select the "remove advance pulldown" option from the checkbox at the bottom.

Then create your sequence using the DV50 NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic SEQUENCE PRESET, just change the timebase to 24fps.

After that you should be off to the races.

J

I'm not sure why you're not seeing it, but there's a DV50 NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic CAPTURE PRESET setting built into FCP HD (designed to capture DVCPRO50 over firewire).  Assuming you're capturing over firewire, just use it, and select the "remove advance pulldown" option  from the checkbox at the bottom.

Then create your sequence using the DV50 NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic SEQUENCE PRESET, just change the timebase to 24fps.

After that you should be off to the races.

J

Thanks John. I made the changes, but now my video and audio are out of sync. Did I do something wrong?

• Premium Member

Jay -

You may want to check out http://www.creativecow.net which is oriented more specifically to post-production. I'd bet there's a bunch of expert info there which will readily help you bust the ghost in your machine, I don't have the same hardware config you do, and don't want to speculate on what might be causing your sync issue.

J

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have it working now. For some reason, it appears that when we changed from capture and sequence presets of 23.98 to 24fps, it synced again. Unfortunately, we were changing multiple variables simultaneously, so we're not exactly sure that it was that simple. Understanding that the 24fps on the SDX900 is really 23.98, shouldn't we capture at 23.98? If not, how is FCP recording the video at 24fps, is it adding two frames for every 100? And is it stretching the audio?

Again, thanks everyone.

• 1 month later...

Do not capture at 23.98 or 24. You capture at 29.97 and Remove Advanced Pulldown on the fly during capture. Then you make your sequence 23.98 and drop the clips in there.

I'm pretty sure there's an Easy Setup for this in FCP. NTSC DV50 23.98 or something like that. I then just go into the Audio/Video Settings, and verify that Remove Advanced Pulldown on capture is checked, and whether Anamorphic should be or not, and that's it.