color balancing

If possible i would balance the room in the cool color and then spot color correct the beam in post. Would probably help to do this method with a static shot. Also i know this is the area your meant to get expert opinions so hopefully someone else will post a much better solution to the problem then what i have.

thanks, i was thinking something similar. i would just gel the windows but its in a library and the windows may be too big for that to be possible. also to anybody else, would it be possible to adjust the white balance in camera to make the sunlight orange then correct the interior light to show up cool?

Edited by Damien Andre

• Premium Member

Sure, that's the simplest thing, though daylight is already cool, so it's a bit hard to make it orange without pushing the color channels heavily by white balancing off of a blue card under daylight, for example -- I'd almost consider adding an orange filter to the camera, like an 85, and then using the daylight color temp preset. But you'd have to light the interior very blue, like HMI's gelled with full blue, to get a color difference between the daylight and your lamps.

I'm not sure what kind of equipment you have access to but if you have 3200K lights, you could white balance to daylight and have them outside coming in through the windows. Then if you also have HMIs, you could full CTB them and light the interiors with them. If you just have HMIs, you could WB to tungsten and have full CTO on the lights coming in through the window (not sure if this would be orange enough), then just light with the HMIs on the interior (they'd be very blue with the WB set to tungsten).