AG-DVX100A or XL1 +Arri lenses ?

charles Joslain

Hello everyone.

I have a REAL problem!

I have done some test footage with a AG-DVX100A and an XL2 using the 16:9 mode, and I liked the XL2 better.

BUT, my budget won't allow me to use the XL2 for the time I need it. So I looked into another way to get a nice 'filmlook' and I discovered PL mounts for Canon XL camcorder.

I have an XL1s but I am really wondering if buying a PL mount from the US (I live in the UK) such as the one ww.xl1solutions.com sells is worth it. Would I get a 'better' result than I would with the AG-DVX100A?

Or should I use a EOS adapter with still photography lenses?

Or should I use the 14x manual Canon lense?

What is best way to get a nice depth of field and if possible 'motion blur' for the cheapest price?

Any suggestion: welcome!

What are you shooting? Feature film, short, documentary, promo video? If you're trying to tell a story, I really couldn't suggest the XL1 over the 100. Even if you're shooting PAL, you're still shooting interlaced...

If I'm not mistaken I think the XL1s shoots at 30P (movie mode...?)

That might be a good option...

But the DVX 100 will look better (slightly better)

In the end the whole differenece between the two isn't that much

They're both DV cameras (isn't like you're choosing between S16 & HD).

If you really like the look of 24P get some access to a DVX100

If you don't care and are only interested in TELLING A GOOD STORY

Use the XL1 put a good lens on it (the 14x zoom and maybe some EOS lenses)

And Then spend the money you save on getting better props, location....

Good production value.

You can get quality DV footage from the XL1 as well as the DVX 100

Just light it good and shoot something interesting

A camera's a camera what's important is the skill of the person behind the camera.

GOOD LUCK

Call xl1solutions and rent an adaptor and test it out. It's worth the few bucks. I think you will see a difference when using a PL 35mm lens with any video camera. It might not be what you expect, but it will be different and anything that can make people say "how'd they get that look?" is a good thing in my book.

• Premium Member

As Jason suggests, if you can rent out a similar set up and try it out, that would be best.

Also note that you will get a magnified image, somewhere around 5 times magnification. The Arris are meant for 35mm cine cameras which have a frame size, for example for an Arriflex camera with a 4:3 gate the image size on the neg is 20.2mm x 15.2mm. Whereas, the 1/3 inch chip is 4.8mm x 3.6mm. You would only be getting the center portion of the lens. The 35mm cine lenses have a much larger angle of coverage.

Fine if you are doing stuff where you are shooting with long lenses, but if you need to go wide, nothing will get you very wide.

I have used both cameras, I own an XL2, but the DVX is also very good. It's a very close race between these two cams.

dont know if someone mentioned this, but NO movie mode...dont use it, its not even cool. shoot at a 30 shutter instead...get some motion blur, and dont lose the resolution! but remember if you get the PS Technik mount you are going to need lenses (which you may have to rent unless you got a few layin around) and that could end up being about the same price/day for an xl2...yoou money you choide