looking for nice flare

ziad Chahoud

hi,

we are filming next month a music video for a Belly dancer.

the location in a very old theatre (lots of red and blue colors)

and we will have some of shots where there is lots of back lights hitting the dancer and the camera as well.

And I'm looking for a nice, sexy flare for these shots.

we're using the canon 7D, and I'm still wondering which lenses should I use to have this nice feeling of the flare, and to show the nice contrast and colors of the theatre.

thank you for your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

we are filming next month a music video for a Belly dancer.

the location in a very old theatre (lots of red and blue colors)

and we will have some of shots where there is lots of back lights hitting the dancer and the camera as well.

And I'm looking for a nice, sexy flare for these shots.

we're using the canon 7D, and I'm still wondering which lenses should I use to have this nice feeling of the flare, and to show the nice contrast and colors of the theatre.

thank you for your suggestions.

I'd throw a leko or two in the mix and possibly a low density streak filter....I've always had nice results throwing the leko just out of frame and focusing into the lens, the cutters can let you do some interesting shapes as well. I shot some NFL cheerleaders for a PSA, and I was told we'd be on field. Turns out we were in a loading dock, so I shot as shallow as I could, hurriedly tossed up a 1k fresnel behind them and just tried to shoot into the back light as much as possible so no one would focus on the fact that they were in a damn warehouse.

post-30385-0-17166900-1292555506.jpg (sorry for the compression, file size limit here)

I was using the newer EF glass with the 7D. I feel like using older lenses would most likely flash the entire frame given the lack of reflective coating...at least that was always my experience using older 16mm lenses (everything had a "70's" look to it with that flashed low con thing going on)

Hey Ari, good to see you on here. A source four or dedo light is great for setting off screen and directing towards the lens. If you can shell out and get some anamorphic lenses, you will get that wow of natural lens flare. You could also use a streak filter and put a few lights off screen pointed at the lens. This can get a little over done though. Could also add some in after effects if you feel like you didn't get enough.

Hey bob! Crazy I haven't run into you on a job since prolouge.

to the original poster: Here's an example of the streak filter + leko's aimed at the lens. I gaffed, so I couldn't tell you what glass they were using (pretty sure it was zeiss not cooke though) and I also didn't know they'd use stuff with our fixtures in the final cut, so that was kind of strange, but for most of the stuff on the white cyc, we built a goalpost behind them with 3 lekos and just rotated the barrel depending on what flare they wanted. I think they were going for the star trek thing as much as possible without going to anamorphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COJVn-SM9uY

Wish I had access to the raw footage, we did a wide with the 3 lekos coming in top down as vertical slashes in symmetrical pattern, which you see in some closeups, but the wide had an interesting look to it. They also gave the entire thing a slight pastel grade, so some of the contrast is lost :\