Mystery 'Part' in my Canon Scoopic! What is this?

Colin Curtis

Hello Everyone...

I posted this picture to show an additional part in the film chamber of my Canon Scoopic 16. In the direct center of this photo you will see a square, flat, disk-like object with a wire running from it and into the body of the camera. The wire may be difficult to see in the photo. There is also a chrome button on the bottom of the object.

Does anyone know what this is? This is not shown in the manual and it is not on other cameras that I saw online. Could this be something Canon added to the later units from the factory? Or, is it some custom add-on by a previous owner?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can explain it...

COLIN

post-49190-079055500 1291735309.jpg

Thanks for replying Mark. Yeah...it does move up and down. Maybe you are right about the automatic trip-off - never thought of that - but the button needs quite a bit of force to be pressed in. The button is spring loaded and pushes back down again. I am still waiting to have my batteries re-celled, but when the camera is powered up (without film) it should be easy to test your theory. I wondered if it was some sort of de-magnetizer, but couldn't think of a reason why it would be needed. I am pretty new to cameras at this caliber, so your thoughts are much appreciated.