Color Grading for RED footage

Dan Perry

Any DP's have a low budget solution for color correcting RED footage? I'm an editor, but not a colorist, and don't have the funds to finish the post work on a short I just completed! Here's a link to a trailer so you can see where we're at visually:

http://kck.st/cV6awi

We just finished a rough cut that we're submitting to some of the big festivals, but we're hustling to raise money to be able to complete our color correction, visual effects, and sound mixing. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

For getting a monitor calibrated I use iColor Display made by Quato. It has a color mouse and the software to install software settings for monitors that do not have hardware solutions. Works good with my Apple Cinema Display and probably works good with other higher class monitors. Was recommended to me as best bang for the buck so I just pass that along.

• 1 month later...

Use Apple Color. Make sure to setup your monitor display to the correct Gamma setting (in your preferences -> Display). Also err on the brighter side of the monitor settings so you don't blow anything past 100 IRE.

Redcine-x now supports Final Cut EDL's so you could do the majority of your color grading (one light) in RC-X and then any secondaries in Color or Davinci Resolve :)