Lighting advice needed: Rooftops & Gumdrops - Set Build 1 (Classroom)

Hi all,

I’m a 21-year-old student filmmaker and I’ve landed the job as DOP on a fellow student’s third year graduation film entitled “Rooftops & Gumdrops”. He’s a set designer, and as such there are three set builds, plus various location work, happening from January of next year until May.

I’ve done lots of film work before but this is my first with the title of DOP, so I’m pretty nervous, and would appreciate feedback as I approach each build!

The first set build is in early January, and you can find designs here: Classroom designs. The scene itself is a very small one, taking place in a classroom with two lines of dialogue. The main character is sitting in the corner staring out through the window, during a CPR class, which takes place in the middle of the set.

My plan is to light entirely with artificial daylight, with two 1.25 HMIs through the windows and then having a bit of fill where needed with either Fresnels, Redheads and/or a Kino Flo Diva-Lite that I’ll obviously all gel accordingly.

Does this sound like a viable approach?

We’re shooting on 7Ds by the way!

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan Flint