Lighting a woman scrubbing the step of a house at night

Phil Thompson

Hello,

I need your help. Next week I have to film a lady cleaning the step of her house on her hands and knees, whilst talking to camera. I attatch a picture of the house. I am shooting in the evening and there will only be street lamps. I am shooting on 16mm and I hope to get some fast stock. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to light it? and what could look good. There will also be an old man in the shot. he could be sitting on a chair outside. Though i don't want sound recording to be difficult.

Any thoughts?

cheers

phil

post-11472-0-64840700-1292453485.jpg

• Premium Member

Hello,

I need your help. Next week I have to film a lady cleaning the step of her house on her hands and knees, whilst talking to camera. I attatch a picture of the house. I am shooting in the evening and there will only be street lamps. I am shooting on 16mm and I hope to get some fast stock. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to light it? and what could look good. There will also be an old man in the shot. he could be sitting on a chair outside. Though i don't want sound recording to be difficult.

Any thoughts?

cheers

phil

Sort of depends on how wide your widest shot is. If you don't see the second floor, I'd probably try to arm a Chinese Lantern out on a pole from the second floor window for an overhead porchlight effect.

Sort of depends on how wide your widest shot is. If you don't see the second floor, I'd probably try to arm a Chinese Lantern out on a pole from the second floor window for an overhead porchlight effect.

As someone who works with a very limited budget, I figure I might be able to offer some advice. First, please take the following considerations into account.

On a narrative/emotional level What type of project is this? I mean, under what circumstances will it be screened? Also, what is the mood of the scene?

On a technical level, take a look at the street lights and try to determine what color they burn. If you're planning to use a china bulb as per Mr. Mullens, try and view both the bulb and steetlights together. THe disparity between the two is what's most crucial. If they are vastly different, you may need some color correction gels.

Typically, you can get away with higher contrast in wider shots. So, even if you don't have room for a fill light or some sort of bounce in the wide--it may not be much of a problem. Just bring in a bounce or perhaps even another china ball in for the fill on tighter shots.

Finally, depending on what transfering process you use, you may or may not get away with using a really fast stock.

I would definitly put a dimmer on whatever bulb you use in the china ball--it will make life much easier.

Good luck. I'm excited to hear the results.