S16mm Bolex Rx5 surf film frame grabs

Jeremy Rumas

Just wanted to share a couple frames from some recent footage. I shot this on a Bolex Rx5. At home Super 16 conversion. The young guys playing chess was with a 10mm Kern preset. I have found that with this lens, when stopped down a few stops with a good exposure, the vignetting is minimal. In low light, with the lens wide open, the vignetting is very intense in S16. Lens/turret placement is very critical...mine is slightly off. For my project, I dig the look though.

The surfing shot was with an old 300mm Canon FD Flourite lens with a C mount adapter, and also a lens support....I modified an old Bolex long lens support system I got off Ebay.

For these frame grabs I just screen grabbed images off quicktime player, sized to my screen size...so there might be a bit of odd stuff going on from resizing the quicktime window(along with saving out as a jpeg for web). But these are from a full 1920 x 1080 transfer. I asked to have the full frame visible, I dig the dirty edges of the film gate.

Also want to mention to anyone else shooting 16mm or S16mm, with a similar camera....I was able to see my recent footage projected in a DI theater, on a cinema grade 2K projector, from the HD files. First time I got to see my Bolex footage on a big screen, with a professional projection system. I had a lot of questions before this as to what Bolex footage would look like in a theater, I thought it might not hold up, or might be too soft. I was really, really surprised. It looked so much better than I had even hoped for. I thought it held up beautifully on a big screen. Colors were so intense, images that I did get critical focus on were sharp, and overall in motion it looked to me like a moving painting. Gave me so much hope for what is possible...

Hangs%2BUpon%2BNothing%2B%252B%2BMikala%2BJones%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bbarrel%2B%252B%2Bsuper%2B16mm%2Bfilm%2Bframe%2Bgrab%2B%252B%2Ba%2Bsurf%2Bfilm%2Bby%2BJeremy%2BRumas%2B%252B%2Bwww.hangsuponnothing.com.jpg

Hangs%2BUpon%2BNothing%2B%252B%2Bchess%2B%252B%2Bsuper%2B16mm%2Bfilm%2Bframe%2Bgrab%2B%252B%2Ba%2Bsurf%2Bfilm%2Bby%2BJeremy%2BRumas%2B%252B%2Bwww.hangsuponnothing.com.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Rumas

Just wanted to share a couple frames from some recent footage. I shot this on a Bolex Rx5. At home Super 16 conversion. The young guys playing chess was with a 10mm Kern preset. I have found that with this lens, when stopped down a few stops with a good exposure, the vignetting is minimal. In low light, with the lens wide open, the vignetting is very intense in S16. Lens/turret placement is very critical...mine is slightly off. For my project, I dig the look though.

The surfing shot was with an old 300mm Canon FD Flourite lens with a C mount adapter, and also a lens support....I modified an old Bolex long lens support system I got off Ebay.

For these frame grabs I just screen grabbed images off quicktime player, sized to my screen size...so there might be a bit of odd stuff going on from resizing the quicktime window(along with saving out as a jpeg for web). But these are from a full 1920 x 1080 transfer. I asked to have the full frame visible, I dig the dirty edges of the film gate.

Also want to mention to anyone else shooting 16mm or S16mm, with a similar camera....I was able to see my recent footage projected in a DI theater, on a cinema grade 2K projector, from the HD files. First time I got to see my Bolex footage on a big screen, with a professional projection system. I had a lot of questions before this as to what Bolex footage would look like in a theater, I thought it might not hold up, or might be too soft. I was really, really surprised. It looked so much better than I had even hoped for. I thought it held up beautifully on a big screen. Colors were so intense, images that I did get critical focus on were sharp, and overall in motion it looked to me like a moving painting. Gave me so much hope for what is possible...

Nice grab. What stock was used?

Hangs%2BUpon%2BNothing%2B%252B%2BMikala%2BJones%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bbarrel%2B%252B%2Bsuper%2B16mm%2Bfilm%2Bframe%2Bgrab%2B%252B%2Ba%2Bsurf%2Bfilm%2Bby%2BJeremy%2BRumas%2B%252B%2Bwww.hangsuponnothing.com.jpg

Hangs%2BUpon%2BNothing%2B%252B%2Bchess%2B%252B%2Bsuper%2B16mm%2Bfilm%2Bframe%2Bgrab%2B%252B%2Ba%2Bsurf%2Bfilm%2Bby%2BJeremy%2BRumas%2B%252B%2Bwww.hangsuponnothing.com.jpg