Budget remote follow focus review

Frank Glencairn

Vladimir Korshunov and Brian Glentved of BV from Denmark where sending me one of their brand new remote follow focus kits lately. The target group is indie and low budget filmmakers, which means it is very budget friendly. As the saying goes “You get what you pay for” I was curios what I get for 700 bucks.

Here is my review: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/bv-budget-remote-follow-focus-review-meet-the-new-kid-on-the-block/

Frank

• Premium Member

I had a drink with Peter Hoare the other night, along with some other members of this fine forum, and he had the latest version of his focus device with him. It's extremely nice, the motor in particular being a really spectacular piece of engineering, and I suspect it doesn't have the problems that this one does. On the other hand, it's four and a bit times more money. I think there's room for all this stuff. Great.

P

Yeah, we use Peter`s Hocus Focus a lot and I love it.

I was following his development from day one and I think it is incredible what he achieved.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I want to ask you some question about this Hocus Focus (not PRO version) and I'll be glad if you answer :rolleyes:

how reliable is whole unit? have you got any problems in the field?

It's written that it's not silent, so how big deal is it when shooting sync sound ? (I mean in profesional productions)

How strong is motor?

I know it's not for cinema lenses, but one guy told me he was pulling with it Cooke S4 prime lenses without any problem.

and the most important - how it manages lenses with long focus throw (like 300 degrees) when it turns only 180 degrees ? I know gear ring is really huge, but i'd like to know how is it working in real world.

Thanks for answer ;)