Confusion with the RX Lenses and the system

Andrew Glenn Miller

" The 1/2 closed position (marked 1) "

" the 1/4 closed position (marked 1/2) "

:blink:

" due to the shutter being 1/4 closed "

closed 1.25 x some angle we don't know exactly what - but we'll assume fully open ?

closed to a quarter of its fully open position - as in 1.75 or 3/4 closed ?

a 1/4 of a stop closed ?

:o

:lol:

You guys are confusing me again :P Just kidding, but going back to your second post: you're right about worrying about light leaks rather than fractions of stops. From difficult moves to rack focusing by myself or with very little help from a friend - I worry not keeping my eye tightly on the viewfinder.. as I have to multitask. How often does light leak through the viewfinder, do you think it's a smart idea for me to modify a deeper rubber eyepiece than the one it comes with it? Right now I don't even have a eyepiece for it, been using the berhiot reflex lens eyepiece for it, surprisingly fits well on it.

You guys are confusing me again :P Just kidding, but going back to your second post: you're right about worrying about light leaks rather than fractions of stops. From difficult moves to rack focusing by myself or with very little help from a friend - I worry not keeping my eye tightly on the viewfinder.. as I have to multitask. How often does light leak through the viewfinder, do you think it's a smart idea for me to modify a deeper rubber eyepiece than the one it comes with it? Right now I don't even have a eyepiece for it, been using the berhiot reflex lens eyepiece for it, surprisingly fits well on it.

You should be fine with the finder if it is similar to the bolex one - its only an issue when you're completely away from it and there is a reasonable amount of light behind you - either diffuse or directed at the finder optics ...

The problem - or saviour - is that any fogging is usually defocused and diffuse once it reaches the ground glass and the prism in its prismey way lets some light through to the black void below it - it works a bit like flashing your film - unless you're using spot meters and want ultimate control over your image, you probably wont notice it (in most non extreme cases)

" The 1/2 closed position (marked 1) "

" the 1/4 closed position (marked 1/2) "

:blink:

" due to the shutter being 1/4 closed "

closed 1.25 x some angle we don't know exactly what - but we'll assume fully open ?

closed to a quarter of its fully open position - as in 1.75 or 3/4 closed ?

a 1/4 of a stop closed ?

:o

:lol:

But look at the illustration that goes with it. It shows a white shutter with a black variable segment. It shows it in various positions - fully open, 1/4 closed, 1/2 closed and fully closed. These 4 positions correspond with the 4 positions on the variable shutter leaver: open, 1/2, 1, closed. O.k., the bolex paragraph wasn't well expressed when they wrote sentences like 'The 1/2 closed position (marked 1)' instead of 'The 1/2 closed position (marked '1' for 1 full f-stop less light - which is what you would expect if the shutter was only half open)' ...

Stepping down the asa to compensate is a nice, painless method, Richard. Good idea. What kind of light meter do you use? I used to use a Sekonic in school, but I can't remember what model it was. I could use a good back-up meter. Any recommendations?

I know the Bolex manual tends to round the figures up and down- somewhat generously, like with the prism- but I never found the table and explanations that hard to follow. But you would think the Swiss would be a little more precise...

• Premium Member

I worry not keeping my eye tightly on the viewfinder.. as I have to multitask. How often does light leak through the viewfinder, do you think it's a smart idea for me to modify a deeper rubber eyepiece than the one it comes with it?

Yes, the viewfinder light leak is a problem especially in sunlight. It may sound and look ridiculous but if you gaffer tape black curtain or molton to the camera and pull it over your head you are probably safe. Especially when you do a handheld shot while walking...