Super 8!

Well it's Christmas time and the family will soon all arrive. This year I will be breaking out all of my Super 8 narrative films I made as a teenager and project them via a projector onto a screen. Yes, you heard me correctly a projector and a screen!!

The family will be thrilled to once again see gripping titles like, Quazimodo The Wonder Dog, Mission 4-7, The Enchanted Forrest, & Clay Things.

I have to say....Super 8 was, and still is, an amazing format, I owe my entire career in film to this format. I still have my Bell and Howell camera and my editor. I was particularly lucky because when I was in high school a local Kodak executive heard about my love for making films and asked me if I would want to be a Super 8 film tester for Kodak!

They would supply me with all the film I could ever want and process it for free. They also supplied me with the great Super 8 projector I still use to this day. That was a lucky break at a young age as I was from a poverty stricken single parent home and I could never have bought all of the gear and film on my own. So thank-you Kodak, I owe ya B)

Any way, I love projecting these movies, the colours are absolutely brilliant and crisp, clear, and razor sharp, 30 years later!! Even though I had ample access to VHS cameras and edit gear at my high school in the 80s, I still chose to make my films with Super 8. Am I sure glad I did, 30 years on VHS movies would be trash by now.

So long live Super 8, I love you and will always be grateful to you for changing my life.

R,

Put 'em on poo-tube.

P

Oh no Phil, these films will forever be projected only. You are welcome at my house any time to watch though!

R,

• 10 months later...

Wow you were a Super 8 film tester for Kodak as a teen? That is unbelievably interesting.

I used to make clay animation films as a kid :rolleyes: especially for high school projects, I guess most were writing papers or going out and socializing and I was in my room making movies. Glad it happened that way.

I've met filmmakers who still shoot in Super 8. I wonder where you can get the film stock.