Beaulieu Lens

Christopher Murakami

I'm considering purchasing either a Beaulieu or a Canon Scoopic for my first 16mm film camera.

The Beaulieu R16 comes with an Angenieux zoom lens. What are other recommended lenses, preferably zoom, that would bring out the best image quality (so I can get a budget range for the lens)?

I've seen some shoddy footage, but here are some exceptional ones that I'm hoping to have:

http://vimeo.com/10880822

If you read the comments associated with the second video linked, then it says it wasn't actually shot with a Beaulieu R16, but it was in the style of the Beaulieu. What ever that's supposed to mean!

The first link does give the impression it was shot with a Beaulieu R16, but there doesn't seem to be any indication as to the lens(es) used. Assuming the camera hasn't been modified with a different mount, then the standard camera just has a 'C' mount - so the range of lenses available are pretty wide, and by using a lens mount adapter they're even wider!

Whilst none of it is telecined in HD, this clip of mine was shot on a Beaulieu R16 with an Angenieux 12-120.

This second film of mine was shot on an R16 with Ang. 12-120, with the additional shots (those not featuring the steam tractor) being shot on an Eclair NPR with (a different) Angenieux 12-120 and a Kinoptik 5.7 (first shot in the church yard)

I'll leave it up to you to decide whether they fall into the 'shoddy' category or not!

• Premium Member

you always want to have the option of changing lenses.

Yes, but i'd prefer a Scoopic M over a R16. The guilliotine shutter is a fail and the build quality of the R16 also sucks. If it must be the Beaulieu: Best image quality is with fixed focal lengths only, which is what i would do. Get a range of c-mount prime lenses, they'll be inexpensive. IMHO you'll need just 3 or 4 to cover everything. Don't buy Kern or Schneider lenses for the Bolex marked RX.