Canon 12-120 2.2 Fluorite Macro- Super16?

James Ewen

Guest Ian Marks

I saw this covered somewhere else on the web - supposed to be a great lens, covers S16 from somewhere in its midsection out to the telephoto end. If a conversion to full S16 were available, it would probably result in something like a 15-150mm. Canon did make a (non-fluorite) 15-150mm "TV-16" lens that should cover throughout its entire range. Les Bosher can convert these from C-Mount to Arri, Eclair, or whatever.

I saw this covered somewhere else on the web - supposed to be a great lens, covers S16 from somewhere in its midsection out to the telephoto end. If a conversion to full S16 were available, it would probably result in something like a 15-150mm. Canon did make a (non-fluorite) 15-150mm "TV-16" lens that should cover throughout its entire range. Les Bosher can convert these from C-Mount to Arri, Eclair, or whatever.

Do you know where would you find that particular lens 15-150?

How much does Les charge to change the housing to Arri or whatever...?

Does Les Bosher have already converted lenses for sale?

& How much does it cost to convert the Canon Flourite 12-120?

I know you probably don't know the answers to most of these questions

But I'm just curious.

Thanks

Guest Ian Marks

Rik, there is a thread about this lens somewhere here in the 16mm section. I bought mine from Ebay in excellent condition for $100 after missing out on several 15-150mm Angenieux zooms (which also cover S16 throughout their range).

I e-mailed Les Bosher after the lens arrived and he said he had remounted several of these lenses in the past and that they were quite good. He did not give me a price (so if you get a price from him, would you let me know what it is?). The lens is in a C-mount so I can use it unmodified on my ACL. However, it's BIG and HEAVY and so would require some kind of support. Remounted in an Arri or Eclair mount would be much nicer.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I've got a canon 12-120 fluorite that Les Bosher has recently 'massaged' to cover super 16 and it's still a 12-120! I think some machining was necessary at the rear of the lens. I've still to test it with film , I'll let you know the results when I do.

Cheers

Rob

Guest Ian Marks

Rob, please let us know how the "massaged" fluorite lens is in actual use. How much did Les charge for this?

Rob, please let us know how the "massaged" fluorite lens is in actual use. How much did Les charge for this?

This is very interesting.

I have the lens. It covers S-16 at 12mm, and 40-120mm.

As I recall, when the lens was originally introduced, Canon explained that there was insufficient interest in S-16 to justify the additional cost of larger elements.

I question whether enlarging glare stops (the internal baffles) actually makes a usable lens. This lens isn't that sharp anyway, except at longer focal lengths, where it is extremely sharp. Don't assume that reaming it out results in an acceptably sharp lens. It may also have more than cosine falloff in brightness, or excessive flare.

This is very interesting.

I have the lens. It covers S-16 at 12mm, and 40-120mm.

As I recall, when the lens was originally introduced, Canon explained that there was insufficient interest in S-16 to justify the additional cost of larger elements.

I question whether enlarging glare stops (the internal baffles) actually makes a usable lens. This lens isn't that sharp anyway, except at longer focal lengths, where it is extremely sharp. Don't assume that reaming it out results in an acceptably sharp lens. It may also have more than cosine falloff in brightness, or excessive flare.

Is this the standard 'unmassaged' version of the lens that covers at 12mm?