Nikon R10: Finding replacement for two parts...

Matt Stevens

Hi gang. My Nikon R10 arrived today and looks to be in the condition as described. I did a quick motor test and it sounds very smooth. Now... Two things are missing. The Filter Key and the kind of rod that sticks out from the focus ring (so you can easily focus manually).

In researching I found (from an old thread right here in this forum) that you can use a quarter in place of the filter key. It does actually fit. But is there a better solution or a way to find a used one?

The Rod for the focus ring (see picture below of one that is likely an after market replacement) is the bigger issue. It's not with the camera so I would like to find something else to replace it. Any recommendations?

We will have a huge blizzard (maybe) tomorrow so if that is the case and I have time, I'll get some killer footage of NYC shut down by snow, yet again. :lol:

P.S. Does anyone have a recommendation for having a Nikon R10 serviced in the NYC area? Duall is great, but they want $250 flat, no matter the condition of the camera. I don't think my Nikon needs a total overhaul. Just a basic lube (to use automobile terms) is likely all it requires, but I am not going to attempt it myself.

post-48750-0-74676800-1296506603.jpg

Edited by Matt Stevens

The zoom (not focus) handle in the picture is the original Nikon extenable thing. You can double its length by pulling the outer sleeve out. Really nice.

If the camera runs fine and the EE system works dont'bother with lube job. It will do more harm than good.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Make sure not to store it with the aperture indicator needle in the max position. I am under the impression that the EE system may get stuck when the camera is laid to rest for a period of time with the actuator in its outer position. It appears it gets stuck in sticky grease where the actuator cannot pull it out again.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

There is no relation between de Canon and Nikon. So why would this happen to another camera which was 3 times as expensive.

And a mild overhaul with simple lube is not going to spot/warn for an imminent death of a drivemotor or of a simple electronic component.

Don't make simple things complicated by just the fear of trouble.

Good luck.