Flat base for Arri 2C

Patrick Seymour

Hi. I'm new to cinematography.com and would appreciate some help with a question:

I'm attaching photos of a flat base for an Arri 2C. This allows the motor to be mounted beside the camera rather than underneath. It looks as though it should be possible to attach support rods. I've seen various Arri support rods on eBay (LWS-2 etc) but they don't seem to have the right kind of connector to dock with the one on the flat base. What kind of support rods I should be looking for?

Any advice appreciated.

Patrick

Patrick Seymour

• Premium Member

Hi Patrick,

as far as I'm aware there was never anything officially made to attach rods to a 2C flat base.

Arri made a sort of shoe base for the 2C that extended out the front with a moveable lens support for use with heavy zooms, but nothing that fitted a flat base.

A very knowledgeable ex-cameraman who worked extensively with 2Cs told me that back in the day he had adapter plates made up to allow a 16mm bridge plate to be fitted to his flat base. A machine shop could easily whip one up if you could work out the required dimensions.

Hi Patrick,

as far as I'm aware there was never anything officially made to attach rods to a 2C flat base.

Arri made a sort of shoe base for the 2C that extended out the front with a moveable lens support for use with heavy zooms, but nothing that fitted a flat base.

A very knowledgeable ex-cameraman who worked extensively with 2Cs told me that back in the day he had adapter plates made up to allow a 16mm bridge plate to be fitted to his flat base. A machine shop could easily whip one up if you could work out the required dimensions.

Hi, Dom. Many thanks for your reply.

As you can see in my photos, this particular flat base features a small plate for attaching support rods. It can be seen near the bottom right corner of the first photo. This appears to be a non-standard addition by a previous owner, probably with the assistance of a machine shop as you suggested.

The problem now is to find some support rods with the right kind of connector to dock with this plate. The mechanism, which can be seen in close-up in the last photo, involves two prongs and a hole in a straight line. I assume this would fit some kind of support rods that were popular at the time.

Can anybody identify the support rod connector shown in the last photo?

• Premium Member

Hi Patrick,

sorry, I didn't notice that plate attachment, but you're right - it looks to be something designed to attach rods, much like an LWS but with a twist lock instead of a shoe.

I asked a few people who might know but none of them had come across that design. It might have been a custom job as you said.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hello Patrick,

i remember the hole with the 2 pins. Must be late 70s. This was for a 19mm rod attachment manufactured by Munich based company SCHULZ CAMERASUPPORT. I once owned this thing as a handheld rig but i never had a 19mm matte box system. These are rare i don`t think they made more than a 100 of them. But if you contact them, maybe they can help. And while you're at it. Buy a SCHULZ tripod. They are awesome.