night vision and stobes for exterior night (film)

radar71

I'm shooting a music promo. want to shoot outside at night and get that "night vision" effect.

it would be simple enough to shoot the IR stuff on dv with a one chip camera, but the thought occured to me that i could buy a Russian night vision scope and attach it to a film camera; 35mm or super 16mm.

any one have any ideas about that?

also i would like to shoot some of the scenes with a strobe light illuminating trees and foliage (not with night vision). i understand there are issues with frame rate etc.

would be great to get some thoughts on that too.

this will be a low budget promo.

from a lighting point of view strobes - the only thing i have really used are lightingstrikes - they range from roughly 20 000w to giga watts!!

some come with a frame control to sync lighting flashes with frames and you can also change intensity,

You should be able to find them on the net or places like lee or panavision lighting departments.

j

We did that once. Bought a cheap Russian nightvision scope and mounted it on an Arri3 with a 50mm Macro to focus on the nightvision screen. You don't need any special lens mount adaptors or anything - just a macro that can fill the frame with the nightvision screen and lots of black tape.

With even a basic nightvision scope, we lit a row of trees 150m away with the taillights of a car, and a hotel room with the infrared light of a TV remote!

You can buy IR LEDs that are super bright on nightvision scopes as well.

The video is: Rheostatics "Bad Time to be Poor" if you can find it anywhere.