TV Factual... Do people still shoot DigiBeta? Rates?

Oliver Smith

I started out in TV but have been working in audio for a little over ten years. I play around with cameras for fun, not money.

Now, I have the chance of acquiring a DigiBeta kit at a very reasonable rate. This has got me thinking, perhaps I could sidestep into TV. With the weather warming up, the idea doesn't sound too bad at the moment!

The problem is, this may just be a pipe-dream; I haven't really done much research into the idea and I've lost all my TV connections.

Does anyone actually shoot on DigiBeta any more? Isn't it all HDCam nowadays? And what are the going rates for TV factual cameraman with DigiBeta kit?

Depends where you're located and what your local market is like, standard def is still being shot in quite a few places. I believe people are still shooting on Betacam SP in some places.

Factual budgets have been knocked in recent years and many of the high end programmes are now HD, while the lower budget programmes, which haven't been Digibeta territory in recent years, use lower cost cameras.