16 mm film exposed to light while unloading the film

Hi:

I have done loading/unloading the film stock in 16 mm Arri SR II Cameras more than 50 times.

Two days back, when I was unloading the film from the magazine and putting it in the can, part of the film stock was exposed to light for 3 to 4 seconds. Immediately I put in the can and sealed it with the gaff tape.

Will this have any effect?

Thanks

When you say part of the film was exposed do you mean a few feet that was loose from the roll? Like a tail? Or a section of the wound up film was exposed?

If it was the latter, then it is very likely that the side of the frame will be exposed and unusable. Did you tell your First AC or DP the film may have been compromised?

• Premium Member

3 or 4 seconds is a long time. I would say, even with slow stock, that you definitely should have edge fogging and figging on the outside couple winds. If it was on the perf side of S16, it may not reach into the image area if you're lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

3 or 4 seconds is a long time. I would say, even with slow stock, that you definitely should have edge fogging and figging on the outside couple winds. If it was on the perf side of S16, it may not reach into the image area if you're lucky.

Hello all:

Thanks for all your replies.

I developed my film yesterday and telecined. Nothing happened to the film. I think some miracle happenned. Anyway, I learnt the lesson.