Som Berthiot Pan-Cinor 38-155

Hi!

I've got seen a very, very old Zoom-Lens Som Berthiot Pan-Cinor 38-155 mm 3,8 and it has got a Mitchell BNCR-Mount.

How is the quality and the charakter of these old lenses ? I think most of the Zoom lenses used on Mitchel 35mm Cameras

were Cooke lenses.

Does anybody know a film in which this lens was used ?

Why are Som Berthiot lenses so cheap compared to other lenses of the same age ?

These Zoom lenses were pretty well all that were available in the late fifties. When the Angenieux 10:1 came out in the early sixties it was such a great lens with a fantastic zoom range that the Som Berthiots were all but retired.

And a good thing too. They were a horrible lens. The only nice feature was the zoom control, being a forward/back lever. It was very very nice and sadly has not been employed by others since.

The quality of the Som Berthiot was so bad that it was used ONLY when a zoom shot was required and then pulled off the camera instantly. The images would not intercut with primes unless you were using dirty Schneiders or clean Kinoptics but if you needed a zoom shot you had no choice...

Now you know why they are so cheap.

Bruce

i have not experience about old Som Berthiot for 35mm cameras, but i am very satisfied by my Berthiots for 16mm on my Bolex. To me the 25mm cinor RX is far better than Angenieux 25mm f0.95, sharper and richer colors. When i tested the zoom 20-100 f2.1 sopelem monital i sold immediately my 16-100 POE. The Berthiot has (to me) better (smooth) contrast, color and resolution than Switar zoom. I think that Berthiots are underrated lenses overall. Anyway it is only my opinion.

Rob

i have not experience about old Som Berthiot for 35mm cameras, but i am very satisfied by my Berthiots for 16mm on my Bolex. To me the 25mm cinor RX is far better than Angenieux 25mm f0.95, sharper and richer colors. When i tested the zoom 20-100 f2.1 sopelem monital i sold immediately my 16-100 POE. The Berthiot has (to me) better (smooth) contrast, color and resolution than Switar zoom. I think that Berthiots are underrated lenses overall. Anyway it is only my opinion.

Rob

Hello,

That's right. I've got the Sopelem Monital 20-100mm / 2,1 too. I was very surprised when I saw the good results.

For which camera was It made ?

It's a nice lens. It's really as good as a other lenses, like Switar POE or Angenieux. (better than the 12-120 Angenieux).

But there are some Som Berthiot lenses, which really aren't good, like for example the Pan-Cinor 17-170 . . .

But there some

Hello,

That's right. I've got the Sopelem Monital 20-100mm / 2,1 too. I was very surprised when I saw the good results.

For which camera was It made ?

I don't know. Perhaps being a french lens it was designed for Pathè cameras