What to Shoot for E-6 Clip Tests?

I've inherited a bunch of dubiously stored color reversal film.

Just measuring D-max (blank film) doesn't help.

Normally I'd shoot a grey card, blank film and D-max (min in this case), but I know that reversal sensis have toe density measured in addition to LD, HD MD? (Zone V - 18% grey) and the min, max.

So what zones should I shoot? I know it's -3-1/2 + 3-1/2 for B&W neg. Do I need to make my exposures closer together, owing to the more limited latitude of reversal? I'm as out of my element with reversal these days as I am with B&W.

Too much work with color neg., color pos.; too much lab work, not enough set work :-/

Karl,

Is the E-6 film in question, Ektachrome 100D? If so, load some KODAK 100VS into your 35mm SLR for cheap tests that will

bring your into the range you will be shooting in with your mopic camera. Your exposure baseline might be 1/3 under if you want the added color saturation.

• Premium Member

I've inherited a bunch of dubiously stored color reversal film.

Normally I'd shoot a grey card, blank film and D-max (min in this case), but I know that reversal sensis have toe density measured in addition to LD, HD MD? (Zone V - 18% grey) and the min, max.

To be sure you probably could use a grey scale. If it is 35mm E-6 Film, you can do many test shots with a 35mm SLR, the modern e-6 runs in standard still e-6 processing. If it is old VNF that does not apply.

No it is 16.

I'm worried about chart sizes. Want to test the actual film out, not a different emulsion.

I'm going to have to shoot everything full-frame or thereabout just to measure it. . .