RIP Don Peterman ASC.

Adam Frisch FSF

• Premium Member

For some reason I'd not heard anything about the passing of Don Peterman ASC until today when I received the new AC. I couldn't find anything about it on here.

For me, Don Peterman was a graduate of the Brit revolution school of lighting, even though he wasn't a Brit at all. You can see examples of this in Flashdance, although of course heavily

influenced by Adrian Lyne's esthetics. I just revisited Flashdance and what a feast it is to watch. Lots of that early 80's long lens work, soft, single source lighting and reflections in water etc. Wonderfully sumptuously shot film.

Also in his repertoire he carries over that tradition in the classic Point Break. Lot's of long lens photography in this and real bravura operating and blocking. Great looking film. Don throughout his films was always restrained and never over lit. Splash and Cocoon I haven't seen in years, but I remember them as very good looking films as well.

His talent will be missed. And if you haven't seen any of his work recently, please revisit Flashdance and Point Break again.

• 2 months later...

This is very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

I'm with you on "Flashdance". I remember seeing it as a little kid in Sydney, Australia. My parents actually took me to see it (!) While I didn't think the content was really that risque, I remember being enthralled by the images above all else. I mean, after all, who can forget Jennifer Beals (or her double) backlit, drenched in water, and on a smoky stage to boot?

By the way, I also loved Peterman's work on "Gung Ho", the Ron Howard film from '86. If I'm not mistaken it's one of Howard's few films in anamorphic.

And yes, you're completely right about "Point Break".

--Chris

I recently saw again "Star Trek IV", also shot in anamorphic, for which Peterman was nominated for Academy and ASC awards, and his work for the bridge scenes on the Klingon spaceship is great, with excellent use of smoke, fog filters and practicals to light it.

Peterman was underrated.